College laptop help

jodom6

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
Hello everyone-
I had my open house and now im off to college but i still need to purchase a laptop. Im looking to spend no more than $1,200. Does anyone have recommendations for what laptop i should get? Getting a mac is not what i want as they are sort of over priced for the hardware and i'd like to game a little.

I'm looking for a 13-15 inch and an intel 3rd gen processor, usb 3, and hd screen and just an overall good laptop made to last.

Solution
I got the XPS 15 with the second generation i7 2670QM and it kicks butt. I have thrown Adobe CS6 Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Illistrator at it and it blows right past it. I didn't opt for the NVIDIA 540M GT upgrade because it was too much money, but the 525M still kicks through pretty much every game I have thrown at it-though some settings need to be lowered to get 40+ FPS that I prefer. The HD screen is also the best there is in a laptop.

There is almost no speed difference in from the 2nd to the 3rd generation Intel i-series chips; about 5-8%. You also get a more power efficient chip and the integrated graphics chip is waaaayyyy better, but at the price range your looking at it wouldn't matter as it would come...

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I believe the one in the link is a 17in laptop. I use an older 15in macbook pro. You know, the repairable one....
However, that being said, for those who are looking for good value/specs I would look at a Lenovo. I've always wanted one of them, and the color gamut on their screens are spectacular. Here's a link: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/w-series/

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I got the XPS 15 with the second generation i7 2670QM and it kicks butt. I have thrown Adobe CS6 Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Illistrator at it and it blows right past it. I didn't opt for the NVIDIA 540M GT upgrade because it was too much money, but the 525M still kicks through pretty much every game I have thrown at it-though some settings need to be lowered to get 40+ FPS that I prefer. The HD screen is also the best there is in a laptop.

There is almost no speed difference in from the 2nd to the 3rd generation Intel i-series chips; about 5-8%. You also get a more power efficient chip and the integrated graphics chip is waaaayyyy better, but at the price range your looking at it wouldn't matter as it would come with a discrete chip.

Anyways, I recommend the XPS series :). The new generation's design is much better, in my opinion anyways.

Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel i7 2670QM
8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
NVIDIA 525M GT
750GB 7200RPM HDD

Solution