BIOS hangs

division_9

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hello I have a Asus G1Sn in my possesion. Unfortunately for me it hangs at the BIOS either after "4096mb OK" or after "Initializing USB Controllers...Done" as shown below. This means that I can't select a boot device or even enter the BIOS setup. I've considered flashing the BIOS but I'd have to be able to select a boot device which isn't an option.

Any help/advice would be great

Background info on this G1Sn - Friend claims to of broken it in several ways(no idea how or what as I don't have contact with him) and gave it to me for free. So far I've changed the DC Jack and replaced the old broken CPU (Core 2 Duo P7350) with a working T6600

EDIT - I've already tried replacing the CMOS battery but to no avail.

Photo0525.jpg

D

Deleted member 217926

A CPU "breaks" about .00001% of the time. The other 99.99999% of the time it's the motherboard. What exactly told you the CPU was broken?

Are you even sure that the T6600 is supported by that specific board and BIOS?

JustLurking

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Since you're staring at a BIOS screen, I wouldn't replace anything without diagnosing it first, unless you have more money than time or something. :)

I've had my BIOS lock at the same spot while finding my max overclock. It was always when I didn't give the IMC or RAM enough voltage. It seemed like it had just enough juice to get to that spot in BIOS, but not enough to keep going.

Have you tried the basics: unplug everything that isn't necessary, even down to a single stick of low-density RAM (ie: 512MB), of which you're also sure is compatible with the mobo?

division_9

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I'm not a computer expert, but previously when I started up the computer, nothing would appear whatsoever on the screen. No logo's no BIOS no nothing, just blank. Later I changed the CPU and when I started the computer the BIOS would start running at the very least.

EDIT: I haven't found any resources to suggest that the T6600 isn't compatible or has reduced compatibility with the motherboard but since it fits into the socket and BIOS atleast starts I assumed it was compatible.

division_9

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
What exactly do you mean by diagnosing the computer first?. And unfortunately I've got more time then money.

I haven't considered the idea that the computer isn't getting enough power, I have tried using just 1 stick of ram (2gb DDR2) since I don't have any 512mb ram sticks lying around but havent disconnected anything else besides that. From what I know the RAM is compatible with the mobo as I was told it worked before the computer became non-functional. I also don't think the computer was overclocked back when it was still functional but who knows.

D

Deleted member 217926

You can not assume a CPU is compatible with a board just because it fits.......especially not with a laptop. Odds are very good it's not compatible.

JustLurking is thinking you have a desktop. Laptop BIOS are generaly locked to prevent overclocking causing heat issues.

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

remove all USB devices except for mouse and keyboard if they are USB.
then attempt to boot.
(if you have anything plugged in..)

report back if you make any progress.

division_9

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

I'll look into that.

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

I just now read that part, 'anort3' is correct..