No network connection

majorchillzone

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
My Samsung NB30 netbook will not recognize any networks. I turned it on and it will not recognize mine, or the one next door. It says that there are none, when I'm currently on another laptop using it. I've read though some other questions, and tried to delete the current network, but anything to do with the connection or network does not show up, at all. I'm not good with things like this at all, so any help would be much appreciated. I'm not sure what other information is needed, so please let me know if there's more I can add.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I don't know that this'll work on Win7 Starter but I think it's worth a try. Go into:
Control Panel>> System>> Device Manager>> Network Adapters
If your hardware shows up there, right click and enable. If it is already enabled, try a driver update.
If there is no hardware listed there, right click and look for an option to show hidden (or disabled) hardware. Then enable it.
Also, if it has been roughly handled or dropped, it is possible that your wireless antenna or the card itself has become disconnected.

majorchillzone

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for the answer! I tried the Device Manager and was able to update half of them, the other half said that they could not be updated, as the hardware could not be found to do it. Overall, it did not fix the problem. I tried hooking it up straight to the router via Ethernet, but that didn't work either. Could it be the antenna/card you mentioned? I'm going to browse the Samsung website and this one a little more to see what else it could be.

Are there any exclaimation marks next to your hardware listed in the device manager, network adapter area? Does your ethernet and/or wireless card show up there?
I did not find what I was looking for here but this link may be helpful to you anyway
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP-NB30-JP02US
What I was looking for was a hardware connection which would explain your ethernet not working in conjunction with your wi/fi issues - I found nothing that would indicate that would occur together so I am inclined to believe your issues are software related - Windows being my primary suspect.
Personally, if there are no exclaimation marks next to your hardware in device manager, I would backup any data I wanted to keep and do a system restore including a BIOS update. Available somewhere within the link above (check your label and ensure it is the correct model first)
As far as getting inside of netbooks, that is a somewhat gray area as there are few "how-to's" about that (I could find nothing for your specific model). If you are inclined, and a system restore does not return functionality of your networking capabilities locating your wi/fi card should be fairly easy once opened - doesn't explain ethernet issues though.

make sure in the bios the network card and wifi card are turned on. with a latoptop or any device that built in and wif there should be two icons in the network setuo settings one for the hard wire port and one that say wifi. they should be both turned on to work.

majorchillzone

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

This is what shows up under Network Adapters:

-Marvell Yukon 88E8040 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
-Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
-Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
-Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
-Unknown Device
-WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
-WAN Miniport (IP)
-WAN Miniport (IPv6)
-WAN Miniport (L2TP)
-WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
-WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
-WAN Miniport (PPTP)
-WAN Miniport (SSTP)

All of these, minus the Unknown Device, have a exclamation point next to them. I have tried the system restore, that also with no fix.