Laptop shuts down during boot - how to identify issue?

Mattvic

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hi all, I hope you can help with with a weird issue: when I´m starting up my laptop, it suddenly shuts down after +/- one minute, without any notices or warnings.

Model: Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pa2510
OS: Windows 7 (custom install, worked for the last 6 months without problems)

This is what I´ve tried:

- Booting up normally and using system restore, but the laptop always shuts down before Windows can complete the start up process. This is the last image I see before it shuts down: http://0.tqn.com/d/pcsupport/1/0/g/5/-/-/windows-7-install-13.jpg

- Boot from a Windows 7 installation disc, but the same thing happens: the machine shuts down after a little over 1 minute not allowing Windows to startup completely.

- Put a ventilator over the laptop to cool it down. Made no difference.

Now this draw my attention: it always shuts down after 1:10 - 1:20 minutes. I measured this several times with a stop watch.

This made me think the issue is not related to Windows. So I started up a few times and entered the BIOS menu directly to prevent Windows from loading. I didn´t make any changed, I just waited one minute and sure: the laptop shut down again.

I suppose it´s time to buy a new laptop, but I´m curious what could be the issue here. Any suggestions would be great!

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Are you using battery power or are you plugged into the wall? It could be the laptop's PSU going out, or perhaps something is wrong with the motherboard. It may also be over heating super quickly, though unlikely. But it never hurts to blow some canned air into the laptop to blow out any dust just the same.

The1stWan

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
when you mentioned windows 7 I thought it's a newish machine and I've just checked out the model of your laptop it is quite old. I strongly believe it is a hard drive issue.
if you have access to a working hard drive from another working laptop. then it will comfirm the theory. All you need to do is unscrew the panel from the underside of the laptop, hoping that will be the case because with some laptops you may need to undo the keyboard to get into the hard drive, then aput the hard drive you know is working, into it and if it boots up then you know you will have to replace the old hard drive and install whichever operating system you decide on. Hope that helps!

Mattvic

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

I´m plugged in, the battery gave up a few months ago and I never replaced it. Good point regarding cleaning up the inside with some canned air, I should have done that earlier.

Mattvic

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

The laptop is quite old indeed, almost 4 years I think. I washoping to replace it with an ultrabook but my budget doesn´t allow that yet ;) so if I can get it to last a few more months that would be great.

I´ll try and replace the hard drive tomorrow and follow up here.

Many thanks!

villanueva_jovit

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

hello mattvic!
so did you fixed your laptop with shut off problem?
[sorry no email] if you have any questions regarding laptop problems. thanks!

reimuhakurei32

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
The problem is that your laptop is overheating and causing the computer to shut down, try clean the dust of your laptop, and cool it down, not the problem with Windows and the hard drive, or even the motherboard. I know that because it happened with my Acer Aspire One netbook, has the same problem, and it gets fixed by cooling down.