Cheap Laptop for Computer Programming

alphan95

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I will be attending my local community college for computer programming. I'm looking to buy a laptop for class. I want it to last two years, seeing as I'll be getting my associates next year in December. My only requirements are that it's less than $500 and it will allow me to program efficiently. My course states that these are the following languages I will be learning: Visual Basic .Net, Java, JSP, RPG IV, COBOL, CICS, SQL, XML and HTML/Java Script. So I'll have to be able to program with those. I've also read online that programmer needs a good size screen and good resolution. So I'll need at least 14inch, and hd resolution.

The dell inspiron 15 seems like it'll fit my needs. http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-intel-n5040/pd. It's only $400, Dual Core, 720p, and 4gb ram. Will this fit my needs? Or are there any better offers out there?

Laptop with "good screen" and "good resolution" for "under $500" is an oximoron. Cheap laptops 90% of people buy have mediocre resolution of 1366x768. Programming is done best when you can see long parts of the page.

With the money left from your budget - get an additional monitor (1920x1080), keyboard and mouse to connect to your laptop when at home. Youy eyes will thank you.