Help choosing a laptop for college?

G

Hey all, I'll be starting college in September and will need a laptop for work. Please help :)

If possible I'd like a 3rd gen i5 Ivy Bridge and 6GB of RAM. I don't need it for another two months if you think I should wait for a better laptop please say which one.

1. What is your budget? £400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? Standard 1366 x 768, anything above is a bonus.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need? At least 4 hours, I'd really love a laptop with a good battery.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes, Minecraft.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Web browsing, programming, running engineering software, watching HD movies, general multitasking.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? At least 500GB.

9. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 4-5 years.

10. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM/Writer

11. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

12. What country do you live in? Ireland.

I liked this but they don't deliver to Ireland: http://www.bjs.com/asus-r500a-rs51-156-laptop-with-3rd-gen-intel-core-i5-3210-processor-with-turbo-boost-20-6gb-ddr3-750gb-hdd.product.219755

I also liked this but it didn't have an i5 or an Ivy Bridge: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_TimelineX_5830T_1114400.html

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Is it for you to play games or to do stuff? Coz it doesn't really matter what are you gonna get if it is just to do homework stuff.

G

It'll need to be able to run multiple engineering software at once which I'm told is fairly heavy. I only want the HD4000 graphics for the small benefit of playing minecraft better than the HD3000.

TheProudNoob

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I would recommend the ASUS Zenbook Prime UX32VD. By the time I'm graduating (ergo, going to college), I might still get this.

G

Yea that goes against nearly everything I wanted in the first post.