How can i use my vga socket on my laptop as a vga input socket

G

Hello,
I have been told that the vga socket on my acer windows vista laptop is only suitable for use as an out put socket. Is there any way that I can send pictures and sound to my laptop via the vga socket or other cabled means without going through a router there is a vga output socket lan output on the reciever box.

many thanks,

Raymond

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
There is somethin called a "frame grabber" that appears to be able to transfer VGA input thru a USB connection to any screen, which should include laptops.
External units offered

You have an ethernet connection, a VGA to ethernet input might be even easier to find.

VGA output from a USB connection is common, do not know if any of these "reverse flow".

G

Thank you for your input, I alraedy new this hence the question for an alternative.

G

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
The VGA is output only. The only way to get data into the computer is through the USB or the network.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you want to move video from one computer to another with out a router, you could try a crossover cable and just plug the 2 PCs directly into each other.

G

Hi, I have four cameras linked into a 4 way receiver which at the moment is plugged into a television set to view the pictures. It will be far more convenient to view the pictures through my windows vista laptop which would free up the tv for other viewing purposes. I have tried a frame grabber but the refresh time is far to slow for moving pictures so I sent it back for a refund. The receiver has a LAN, VGA and ethernet output on it but I do not want to go through my router as it will involve a very long cable going from one room to the next.

Any solution would be very much appreciated.

regards Raymond.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
A cross over network cable should work. Plug one end into the ethernet of the reciver one end into your laptop. You will then need to configure the network on the laptop to work with the reciever. (Some newer laptops will work with with a regular old network cable) This should be just a matter of Manually assigning the IP address on the laptops network card, and the reciever.

Finally in order for the laptop to display the video stream from the reciver you would need some sort of player software. This is normally provided by the manufacturer of the reciver.

Is this a security system or something else?