Has anyone else had problem with Gateway Computer getting so hot as to damage mu

Concerned59

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
My Gateway Laptop model #MS2285 has caused what I believe is damage to the muscles above my knee. This is where the left upper corner of the laptop sits on my lap. I started to gradually notice how hot it would get and would become uncomfortable to where I would have to change positions, but did not think too much about it. Now it seems to get even hotter and for months now I have used a cooling fan but my leg still hurts even with just the weight of the computer on it. Then I heard that Gateway quite making computers for a while because of their computers overheating and became concerned. Does anyone have any information on this subject.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
First I should explain that "Laptop" is a misnomer, the product should not be used on your lap (heat problems as you have noticed). The vents on the bottom of must not be restricted. It is best to use a laptop on a cooling pad or on a flat hard surface.
I have not heard of any manufacturing/design issues with Gateway, but there has been corporate aquisitions (Gateway is now owned by Acer).
I can only say, keep your computer off your lap, with airflow to the vents, you should be fine. Are your computer temps okay while used off your lap?

Concerned59

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

When my laptop is on my desk the bottom of it is very hot, I've recently checked my family's other laptops and non of them get anywhere near as hot. Just recently in the last few days my keyboard seems to be missing strikes on the keys and I have to keep retyping or push hard on keys. I wonder if that also has something to due with the overheating.
Thanks

I asked about your temps off your lap because often, once a heating issue has developed, it will remain until corrective action is taken. It may simply be that your HSF is dusty and needs a good cleaning. You may find that you need to replace the HSF, or that the thermal compound needs replacing. Unfortunately, if you do decide to do it yourself, yours is a rather tricky disassembly. Link to disassembly steps
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-gateway-nv-series-laptop-fix-power-jack/
I'm going to direct you a different way at this point.
I think you should go into your control panel>>system>>device manager. Manually reload (not update) all hardware drivers. Bear with me, sometimes it works...