Looking for an Ultrabook

lankyjon

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hey all,

I am leaving on August 1st to go abroad for the semester, and I need a laptop before I go. Unfortunately, I am coming at a rather bad time, as Windows 8 and the touchscreen laptops will be coming out sometime soon after I leave. *Sigh* If I could, I would get the Surface Pro, but as it is that is not an option.

So, as far as ultrabooks go, what should I be looking at? Are there any touchscreens coming out that I could get before I go abroad? (The main reason I want a touchscreen is because I've used Windows 8, and I know exactly how geared around touchscreens it is.) If not, what else?

I'm not looking to pay $1,500. I know the Zenbook Primes are very nice, but that's a lot of cash. I'm not looking for a gaming laptop, (I have a desktop for that,) just something small and light with a long battery life and decent performance (thus ultrabooks). Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I'm planning to order a Sony Vaio T after the 4th. Ordering direct from Sony you can get a free PS3 to sweeten the deal (the deal applies to other models as well, worth checking out). One of the nicer Ivy Bridge base ultrabooks I've seen with decent pricing.

I'm looking at an i5 with 4GB (it has an empty ram slot to add more) and a 500GB hybrid, i think it was 780$. You can upgrade the i5 to an i7 for 150$, I'm still kinda on the fence whether or not to do that though...

I'd definately recommend going for the IvyBridge (Intel 3rd Gen) no matter what brand you go with as these are more power efficient and more graphically capable. Unfortunately, these are relatively new, so it's harder to find reviews on them.