What do you guys think on this?

Opticz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hey all, I plan on buying a new laptop mainly for WoW and some other games (GTA4 etc), I found a nice laptop and wanted to ask what you guys think of it. My main concern is the GPU, yes I know if i buy a desktop ill get much better price/performance ratio but I travel a lot so im in need of a laptop.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd?~ck=mn&~ck=mn

Note: Just the laptop itself, no customizations

Thanks.

G

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
The gaming performance of the GeForce GT 650M equipped with DDR3 graphics memory lies somewhere in the former 2011 high-end category between the GeForce GTX 460M and GTX 560M. The performance is exceptionally good in shader-heavy DirectX 11 games and benchmarks. However, the 128-Bit memory interface can be a bottleneck if DDR3 graphics memory is employed. Despite the slower core clock of only 735 MHz, the GDDR5-version of the card should be much faster. Demanding games of 2011 like Battlefield 3 will be playable in 1366x768 and medium or high settings. Less demanding games, such as Modern Warfare 3, are easily playable with maxed out settings and 1080p resolution.

well that looks good depending, as stated above what memory it has but i think Wow would not be a problem.

G

is that a 570M or 670M?
though the 570M is just slightly less than a 670M; hardly distinguishable.

that would be the better GPU compared to a 650M. as far as gaming between the i5 and i7; the i5 would be fine for the games you listed; it would be BF3 mulitplayer and sykrim where the i7 would be better.

so based on the benchmarks and info i got from notebookcheck.net:

the i5-3210M + GTX 5/670M would game better.