Laptop usage without battery

deathholes

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Is the usage of laptop good if used without the battery, i.e, using it under the direct load from the power supply.
i use laptop for some computational work in Matlab which generates lot of heat. I use a laptop cooler but many times the temperature is more than 60 degrees, which is the limit for the laptop battery. As i've already replaced my battery a while ago, i don't want to damage it again.
That's why i want to use it under power load as here power cuts are nor common.
I want to know if it is safe to use it that way.

Solution
there is no reason not to use it with out the battery (unless you're really worried about a power outage/losing work) . it is recommended by manufacturers to remove the battery if you will be using the laptop plugged in for extended periods (days/weeks) as heat is very bad for batteries and it will extend its life

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
there is no reason not to use it with out the battery (unless you're really worried about a power outage/losing work) . it is recommended by manufacturers to remove the battery if you will be using the laptop plugged in for extended periods (days/weeks) as heat is very bad for batteries and it will extend its life

Solution

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Check with the laptop manufacturer. Another function of the battery is to act as a filter (like a great big capacitor) and to regulate the incoming voltage. If the battery provides 12V to the laptop, but the A/C adapter is providing 19V, you can see where this might be a problem.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

sorry but that's now how it works. at all