Looking to buy a sub-$1000 laptop

headlesszombie

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hey guys, recently decided I need to sell my junk HP (NEVER buying hp again now that I have some computer knowledge) and buy a mid end laptop. I will mainly be using this laptop for university which means it will be moving around a lot, and I would also like to do a little softcore gaming on it. It absolutely needs to be able to play sc2 at medium+ settings, and play games like D3 and tf2 without too much issue. Doesn't have to be maxed at 60fps or something silly but I don't want to play all those games at extremely low settings. Also I would be willing to spend a little more if I could even play bf3 on low settings because damn I love me my bf3.

My budget is $600-800 canadian, I might be willing to spend a tiny tiny bit more if the performance is worth it.

was looking at something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215318CVF

(bonus points for being an asus ^.^ )

Oh, also I don't mind larger sized laptops, but it needs to have a good screen resolution that is a key component ^.^

and would also not mind playing even games like cod too if that's possible at my budget

opinions ?

headlesszombie

Honorable
May 2, 2012
ah just found this;

1. What is your budget?

$600-900

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

larger size preferred, not essential

3. What screen resolution do you want?

for my budget, probably 1600 x 900 I definitely don't want to go below that

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

nope

5. How much battery life do you need?

4ish hours is more than fine

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

certain games like sc2, d3 maybe some cod and other light games (maybe bf3 low settings :eek:). for sc2 and d3 I would love to get at LEAST medium specs, I'm not expecting maxed @ 60fps lol.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

just simple word documents for school, lots of music downloading and just internet browsing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500gb is way more then enough, I could suffice with 300+ though.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

newegg, ncix, tigerdirect.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3 years at least.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

doesn't matter

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Asus, I trust them and have heard very good things, MSI also heard good things but more so for asus. Will not even consider HP.

13. What country do you live in?

Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I like girls.

headlesszombie

Honorable
May 2, 2012

hmm how much more powerful is the 6850m ? because really, an i5 at a higher clock speed will be just as good if not even better then the i7.

let's say I got the $700 asus, what kind of performance could I expect ? like could I run bf3 at all ? not really too familiar with laptop hardware

also, what about this:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6165-clevo-w150er-p-4344.html

I've heard good things about sager.

jsouth

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Did you find the system you were looking for? I would highly recommend budgetting a secondary battery and the carrying case. Both could extend the life-span of your system significantly.