[Acer] Need to update my VGA driver...

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
My laptop is an Acer Aspire 7750g-6645 (Switchable graphics with HD3000 and a 7670M). I have had it for just over a month now and have gotten random blue screens in games from day 1. I know for a fact that the problem is the drivers on Acer site and not the ram or any hardware problem.

The drivers on the Acer site are dated October 13th, 2011. AMD hasn't officially released a new driver for their 7000M series since that date, but the new Catalyst 12.6 drivers do offer support for the series and I'm almost positive that installing that driver will fix my blue screens.

My problem is that I can't get my laptop to use the 12.6 drivers. Depending on which options I choose under the Device Manager I either get a message that the most current drivers are installed (Which it says are the old ones, not the 12.6) or that there is no driver software in the folder that I selected (and I know there is).

I have searched all over the place and can't find anything that works. If it really isn't possible to install the beta drivers (Which would be entirely due to the switchable graphics) then I will have to wait not only until AMD releases the 12.6 drivers officially, but until Acer decides to put them on their website.

Solution
Jun 25, 2012

I have an Acer Aspire 7750G-9810 and I had the same problem. It bluescreened out of the box, and kept doing it randomly. I even reinstalled windows a couple of times but as soon as I downloaded the graphics drivers (to get 3d acceleration to work) it started to randomly bluescreen again....

BUT NOW IT DOESN'T

I am fairly certain that the bluescreen is caused when a program switches between graphics chips, and the only one you can disable is the good amd one, while it forces you to keep the integrated graphics enabled (in both Bios and Windows device manager). BUT there is a way to keep things from switching over from one to the other.

In catalyst control center, (the acer version I guess) there is a menu called 'switchable graphics'. It allows you to assign programs to one gpu or the other. I have started doing this to every program I run (only the first time it is run) and I have not yet had a blue screen.
SO that might be a solution.

Also, since the last time I reinstalled windows, I never got around to installing the iAMT drivers from the acer website, but I know I installed it on the last OS install so for all I know, that could also be part of the problem.

Solution

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I'll look into it and see if that helps. I could understand the chips switching being the cause, but when I'm in a game (D3, LoL, WoW) I get the blue screens even if I have nothing running in the background, and I know that I have all of those games running on the 7670M chip.