What\'s difference between Intel 3rd generation 2nd generation core i

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxin69

Honorable
May 28, 2012
The main difference is the size of the transistors. Sandy bridge (or second gen) had a 32 nm transistor size. Ivy bridge (or third gen) has 22 nm. The main differences is the chipset they use, their GPUs, and their power consumption. SB uses z68, IB uses z77. SB uses Intel graphics 3000, and IB uses 4000, the main difference being the amount of transistors. IB consumes far less power than SB. About 20v less, but it does produce more heat.

^^^

That information you provided is for a desktop IB CPU, not a mobile IB CPU. The Z68 and Z77 chipsets are for desktops. Mobile Ivy Bridge CPUs uses the HM75, HM76 or HM77 chipset. Power consumption is almost the same as with Sandy Bridge mobile CPUs, the 20w difference applies to desktop Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs. Ivy Bridge CPUs do not generate more heat than Sandy Bridge. Due to the die shrink to 22nm from 32mn there is less surface area for the heatsink to have contact with an Ivy Bridge CPU so less heat is conducted, thus more heat is retained by the CPU. However, this is only an issue when overclocking a CPU and applies only to desktop Ivy Bridge CPUs since as a general rule laptops do not allow you to overclock the CPU.

While Ivy Bridge CPUs do use less power than Sandy Bridge CPUs, I have not seen any review which compared the mobile versions of those CPUs. Again, the 20w difference mentioned above applies to the desktop Ivy Bridge vs. desktop Sandy Bridge CPUs in general.

Ivy Bridge CPUs are about 5% more powerful than a Sandy Bridge CPU so a mobile IB CPU running at 2.0GHz would be equivalent to a mobile SB CPU running at 2.1GHz. Not much of a difference, but Intel never stated Ivy Bridge was going to be more powerful. The main difference is the integrated graphic core. The new Intel HD 4000 is roughly 40% more powerful than the old Intel HD 3000. That's basically going from something as powerful as a desktop Radeon HD 5450 to a desktop Radeon HD 5550.

The Intel HD 4000's performance actually comes somewhat close to the performance of the graphic core in the Llano A8 series; the Radeon HD 6620G. However, the Intel HD 4000 cannot beat the Radeon HD 6620G in any of the benchmarks I've seen. The Intel HD 4000 is more powerful than the nVidia GT 610m graphic card though. Of 10 games benchmarked, the Intel HD 4000 beat the nVidia GT 610m in 7 of them.

Buckeyerock

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Does the HD 4000 support decent graphics for HD movies? What about the new AMD chips and there graphics capability? I'm looking to save some money on a new laptop (don't we all!), but want decent graphics.

The Intel HD 4000 is more than capable of playing HD movies.

The new Trinity APUs are also very capable of playing movies and are generally more powerful than the Intel HD 4000. specifically the Llano A8 APUs and the Trinity A8 and A10 APUs have an integrated graphics core that is more powerful than the Intel HD 4000. Using desktop graphic cards as a reference, the previous Intel HD 3000 is as powerful as a Radeon HD 5450. The Intel HD 4000 is as powerful as a Radeon HD 5550. The Llano A8 series graphic core is a little more powerful than the Radeon HD 5550. The Trinity A10 series graphic core is roughly close to a Radeon HD 5570 graphic card. The Trinity A8 is between the Llano A8 and Trinity A10.

From a CPU perspective, Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs are more powerful than either Llano APUs (~ 25%) and Trinity APUs (~ 15%). So taking an Ivy Bridge i5 CPU @ 2.0GHz you will need a Llano APU to be about 2.5GHz and a Trinity APU to be about 2.3GHz to equal the IB CPU.

RandyKCoop

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

Do any of you know if a third generation graphics card will work in a second bridge computer?

Brandonionz

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Perfect answer, thank you very much
lareba.gif
!!

Kristina Malek

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Hi it is may be a silly question, but can i run 3rd gen i7 cpu on hm77 with Intel hd 3000 graphic ? (exacly this one i7-3517U)

The HM77 chipset was released for the 3rd gen Ivy Bridge CPU. Therefore, your laptop should technically support the i7-3517U (which has the Intel HD 4000 graphics core). However, the CPU must be in the BIOS's list of supported CPU. If it is not, then the laptop may not even boot up.

The best thing to do is to see if the i7-3517U was offered as an option for your specific laptop model. Alternatively, you can call technical support and ask them if it is possible.

Since the graphics core is integrated into the CPU swapping out a Sandy Bridge CPU for an Ivy Bridge CPU will also mean you will be upgrading from the Intel HD 3000 to the Intel HD 4000 which on average is 35% more powerful.

Kristina Malek

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Great thx for rapid answer my laptop is only a small one, running now 3i 2367M on hm77 with HD3000, and I will have to solder CPU on the motherboard. I own an Acer V5 171, just got myself an ssd which made it quite quick, but I guess u never have enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.