Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi,

My netbook has the following specs:
Intel Atom N270
Intel GMA 950
(?)Kingston 1GB DDR2 667mhz
(?)HD 160GB 5.400rpm

I'm using it as laptop for school and it does a good job for word processing. But if I'm typing a paper and need to search something on google, it's just slow as hell (google chrome browser).

-> Would upgrading to a small SSD and 2GB ram be worth it? Would it work more fluently?

SSD would do little to speed up browising, as there's not too much being written to the disk. An extra 1GB of memory (that is, replacing existing 1GB stick with 2GB) would surely help, and is much cheaper than an SSD.

SSD will give you no increase in browsing performance. As stated above, adding another 1GB of RAM can help, but it will not be day and night difference. If you just browse the internet and do nothing else and it seems to be smooth, then adding more RAM should help because that means the OS. your browser and whatever word processor you are using are all fighting for the limited 1GB of RAM.

The Intel Atom N270 is a dated single core CPU that needs to struggle with bloated software and a bloated internet full of Java code running in the background and Flash video ads.

bliq00

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I added an SSD and a 2nd GB of RAM (this is a no brainer as it will keep you from going to VMem as often). It definitely FEELS faster due to 27 second boot up and near instant launching of apps (1-2 sec max for the browser). This was with an N280 powered EEE PC 1000HE.

GregDL

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

So should I even consider upgrading this netbook? Or is it too outdated? What about the new Intel Atoms (N2600-N2800)?

GregDL

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

So does your netbook feel smooth now? Are you able to multitask more smooth? How does it compare to the new intel Atoms or the E450?