New hdd installed previously was running ubuntu on old hdd

sailingfurther

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hello,
I installed a new 360 gb hdd on my acer 5520 laptop, previously i had only ubuntu on my old hdd, the system wont find and install win xp from the cd/dvd the new hdd shows in the bios ut the cd/dvd sose not show in the bios altho it does in the acer start up list. when i switch the hdd again it works fine with ubuntu and shows the cd/dvd but ofcourse win xp wont install from there as the hdd is formated in linux style. any help?
thanks

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hmm, are your hard drives IDE? or one of them? its possible you might need to set the jumper on the previous ubuntu to slave or cable select so you can see your cd/dvd drive.

if it the a restore cd..it looking for the drive to have a partion first. if it a full version of xp does it see the hard drive in advance mode..where xp ask if you want to partion the drive as a ntfs drive or fat32. can you use a usb stick with some disk tools or a cd with Hiren's BootCD 15.1 it has a mini xp boot loader on the cd. if you lanch it does the mini xp see your hard drive?? or does any of the hard drive tools do..if it a new sata drive and it does 6g speed if your mb is older sata see if the hard drive has a jumper to slow the drive down to older version of sata.if it an ide drive check that the jumper and pins are fine.

sailingfurther

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks but I made a ISO on usb and reinstalled xp from it now the cd/ dvd is working to. Thanks anyhow