Gov. Can Now Track Your Phones Without Warrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
This rates right there with your IP addy and traffic cams. I believe that none of those, including cell phone, can be used against you for any reason as there is no clear way to prove that you were present with the phone. It is all circumstantial evidence and if I were a judge I would throw it out do to the fact that nothing proves YOU were there. It's pretty easy to sneak into someones house steal there car keys and then perform some crime then drop the car back off without you ever knowing it. Can you be held liable? yes, why? it's your vehicle that was seen so therefor you must have done the crime. Is it your cellphone? yes. was it at the scene of the crime? yes. then you must be guilty. WRONG!!!! it's to easy to frame someone on that premise alone, and therefor should not be submittable in court.

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Big brother is here.. Well, he's been here but now they are making it all legal.
Obama is selling out the American people like every other president in the last 30-40 years.

They should just change "president" to super-ceo

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]It's surprising what Obama will do and that we accept it just because he's Obama.[/citation]
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. When President Bush signed intrusive legislation into laws, or issued executive orders which undermined privacy and freedoms, most people pitched a major fit... and rightfully so. Now that Obama is in power, you would think the first thing he would do is repeal or reverse some of that... nope! In fact, he's keeping those laws/orders in place and adding many of his own. At least with Bush, the intent of the laws was to gain intelligence on suspected terrorists (even though that could be easily abused). With Obama, it seems any and all Americans are fair game.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]It's surprising what Obama will do and that we accept it just because he's Obama.[/citation]
Bush pulled the exact same crap with his warrantless wiretaps. Both parties suck and it angers me greatly that the only 'major' parties outside of those two are either ridiculously right wing bible-bangers who want to use gov't to enforce their flavor of morality or stoned out treehuggin hippies who don't want anyone to make a buck (and my poor libertarian party isn't even on the radar).

angelraiter

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Land of the free? Really? First the Patriot Act, now this, how about we just call it what it is and burn the Constitution, at least that way people know the true nature of the Leviathan governing them.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
You'd have thought, that as tired of George W. Bush most Americans had gotten by the end of his term, that any other president would have been different. Obama talked all about change. Unfortunately, he's followed in Bush's footsteps when it comes to social protection. We've seen more and more destruction of privacy rights.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and in fact used to be in law enforcement myself. So I can see how this ruling can serve local law enforcement.

However, let's think about this. A judge is no longer required to test why law enforcement wants your phone location data (and to ensure they have proper probably cause to obtain it). All new cell phones are now required to have e911 GPS capability (presumably so 911 operators can locate you if you are unable to verbally give your location). So in some sense, if you own a cell phone you could be tracked at all times.

Now, I'm not going to say we're all being tracked constantly. I honestly don't think the government really gives a crap at this point. However, your phone can be tracked. Look at all the add-on cell phone services that allow you to monitor your kids based on their cell phone location.

The Patriot Act started it all from a legal perspective.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]Cue right wing nutjob conspiracy theory.....now.[/citation]

This has nothing to do with right vs left! Every administration is as bad as the last when spying on our ass is concerned. Bush was just as bad. You want CCTV cams everywhere? Thats not a far fetched conspiracy, its happening in the UK right now.

Xatos

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Wait I thought it was big bad Bush and all the republicans who stole our privacy? No wait, liberals are just naive morons.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Tracking =\= listening. The logic is sound. If it's not illegal for a cop to follow you around in public, it shouldn't be illegal for them to follow your phone signal.

This isn't wire tapping, no personal info is being exposed. It's the same as having security cameras.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
This is why I don't own one and that I am cheap. I hate the damn things any way and people that are on them all day annoy me. Mind you this is coming from a 20 year old gamer and not from someone who is much older. I hate how people drive while 'texting" they are worse than drunkers.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
We're actually (glad to be) leaving the country soon. It's just getting ridiculous around here with corruption and politics and media that just never seems to go away. Obama is a chump.

Status
Not open for further replies.