Your question
Closed

Relic Lead Designer Killed, Saving Pregnant Wife

Last response: in Streaming Video & TVs
September 8, 2010 1:01:18 AM

Dang I was just playing Company of Heroes.
RIP Brian Wood the Hero.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:03:28 AM

God Bless the innocents.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:04:22 AM

Dude, he had balls. "The greatest love is this, that one man lays down his life for another."
Score
September 8, 2010 1:08:36 AM

Somethings in life are worth dieing for and this is one of them. This man is a hero and sadly most people only take the easy way out.

Rest in Peace..... A moment of silence.

Score
September 8, 2010 1:08:38 AM

read about this earlier on kotaku. such a sad story, but least the man was a gamer till the end and knew it was about the team and the objective and less about the self. I'm glad to hear his wife and soon to be child are okay, his spirit will live on.

"True Sacrifice"
the achievement you can only earn once.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:10:35 AM

That Bravery is amazing.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:13:27 AM

So sad. No need to flame the drivers of the Blazer, they definitely are going to pay for what they did. Good man Brian and your quick thinking while driving. You will be missed.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:13:57 AM

obviously a good man I'm sure he will be missed.
RIP
Score
September 8, 2010 1:15:12 AM

Good man to think on his feet, not panic and do what any husband should be willing to do.

The man has earned my respect and that isn't given out freely.

RIP
Score
September 8, 2010 1:18:34 AM

seriously, so much respect for Brian. You are a hero to your family...! rest in paradise :( 
Score
September 8, 2010 1:18:56 AM

Now thats a real Hero!
not to mention i do still play COH on a regular basis.
still, very sad.. Some people just shouldn't be driving
Score
September 8, 2010 1:27:45 AM

Simple decision can turn tragic. A joint, a drink or two won't hurt. And so is multi-task while driving.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:29:45 AM

Changing sweater while driving, really?
The driver deserves 3 life sentences back to back to back, for each 3 lives she took.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:29:47 AM

the company of a hero, a true relic, has passed in such a way i'm shocked and awed at the same time on so many levels.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:40:15 AM

I have to say that those were DIPS in the other car. You do NOT try to remove stuff from your body while your car is in motion. You stop the car first and THEN take off the clothing in question.

Yeah, this guy falls into the category of hero in my opinion.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:48:39 AM

errh Our company specializes in manufacturing from located in CHINA and Netherlands,With more than 6 Years of

DID YOU JUST F***ing SPAM a post where one is talking about a guy who died saving his family!?!?! GTFO.

Anyways, RIP man.

Quote:
wo passengers in the rear of the SUV--both not wearing seat belts--were killed, and the passenger suffered a broken pelvis.

Idiots. Seriously. They put seat belts in cars for a reason you know.

Quote:
The Chevy Blazer, carrying four occupants, crossed over the center line when the driver tried to remove her sweater--the other front seat passenger took control of the wheel.

Please remove said driver from the gene pool.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:51:39 AM

very sad story,
i have lots of respect for brian, having the clarity of mind in a crisis to make that choice is amazing.
RIP Brian, i hope your new family live long healthy lives.
Score
Anonymous
September 8, 2010 1:57:57 AM

Obviously a happy guy enjoying life and who loves his family. I really don't like hearing about these things. It's...just...not...fair...
Score
September 8, 2010 2:05:36 AM

sonofman I really don't like hearing about these things. It's...just...not...fair...

Life isn't fair. the only thing certain about life is death. that kinda puts some of my current struggles in perspective.
Dang, now I sound like an emo.
Score
September 8, 2010 2:11:27 AM

Damn, this is sad. Bad. Respect to Wood. You're a hero.
Score
September 8, 2010 2:17:29 AM

It makes me wonder sometimes... I know sitting in my chair thinking about it, I would of course say I'd do the exact same in his position. Lots of people would say that because it's easy to. I have a lot of respect for the man for actually being able to DO that when it counted in a split second. While I absolutely feel that sacrifice is well worth it, it makes me wonder if I would be as much of a man if that were me in that split second when it counts, NOT when I'm sitting at home in my chair.

On another note, I wonder if his gamer reflexes helped...
Score
September 8, 2010 2:19:34 AM

kkbntvlznvery sad story,i have lots of respect for brian, having the clarity of mind in a crisis to make that choice is amazing.RIP Brian, i hope your new family live long healthy lives.

No, I've been in a similar situation, twice. (though with the directions of the cars both times it wasn't nearly as threatening a situation) Only it was my best friend in the passenger seat not a wife.

Only difference is I managed to barely avoid the accident in general - not cheapening his sacrifice or anything, just saying the only thing going through your mind is 'oh s***'.

But yes this is a very sad occurrence.
Score
September 8, 2010 2:27:45 AM

Respect
Score
September 8, 2010 2:29:47 AM

Bitter-Sweat, but he's a hero. I know I'd do the same for my wife with or without child. We all die, but so few die a hero.
Score
September 8, 2010 2:36:28 AM

No words can describe the honor that is due this man for his self-sacrifice. RIP.
Score
September 8, 2010 2:43:49 AM

R.I.P.
you truly are a hero
Score
September 8, 2010 3:22:13 AM

Video Game icon gives his life for his wife.

Sports hero [Tiger Woods] spends his life screwing arround behind his wife's back.

Let's just be honest. Sports are a way worse influence on young children than video games.
Score
September 8, 2010 3:55:22 AM

Very sad to hear this, RIP. I hope his Wife, Child, and family all the best.

Always a shame when someone elses carlessness leads to such a tragity like this.
Score
September 8, 2010 4:02:44 AM

:'(  pure love until the moment of his death... that baby will be proud of his dad for the rest of his days
Score
September 8, 2010 4:25:17 AM

He gave his life to protect two, a new one, product of his goodness in this world, this child will have no memory of his dad, but a huge paternal figure to be proud of.
R.I.P
Score
September 8, 2010 4:34:58 AM

Company of Heroes indeed.
Score
September 8, 2010 5:22:31 AM

God bless Woods, his surviving wife and child. Such sad news. I think it's awesome that he may have intentionally done what he needed to protect his wife and child. For that, God bless him for sure!!

I can't imagine being in his wife's shoes. About to give birth to their child, and realizing she won't have Woods around to experience it all with. :( 
Score
September 8, 2010 6:27:07 AM

Stupid ass woman changing clothes on the wheel... Damn it I'm so pissed right now at these people who think life is a game.
Score
September 8, 2010 6:31:46 AM

My condolences to and prayers for the families involved. Mrs. Woods and family, you have much to be proud of.
Score
September 8, 2010 6:48:26 AM

He sacrificed his only life for that of his wife an child, that is truly a hero in any story.
Score
September 8, 2010 7:04:21 AM

Wow this story is sad. How do you feel one day you are driving with your pregnant wife and you have no idea your life is about to end in a matter of seconds.

This guy had his whole future ahead of him and some f**ktards killed him. How is his wife meant to go on without her husband? How is it fair his kid will grow up without a f**king dad?

I hope the bitch gets it.
Score
Anonymous
September 8, 2010 8:24:14 AM

While this is really sad, it's just an example of a person's paying for another one's mistake..

This guy will be missed. RIP.
Score
September 8, 2010 8:40:14 AM

With his creation, thousands of gamers got to experience Sacrifice and Heroism. It's now obvious that Mr. Wood put his soul into his masterpiece. It's been an honor playing your game, Rest in Peace.

BTW, there should be a memorial fund / trust for his unborn child, in honor of its father. It would be a crazy thing to see PC gamers come together in mass, and donate a record amount for the kid's future. I'm in for a $50 donation (the cost of CoH) -- who's with me?
Score
September 8, 2010 10:17:37 AM

Condolences to Brian's family.
Score
September 8, 2010 11:33:46 AM

Sorry for your lose Erin. Brain Woods must of been a great guy. My condolences goes out to Brains Woods family.
Score
September 8, 2010 11:56:58 AM

Full of admiration for Brian... RIP.
Score
September 8, 2010 12:01:30 PM

R.I.P. Brian.
This is why we need the death sentence back in the UK.
Score
September 8, 2010 12:58:01 PM

... Damnit... Sounds like one hell of a good man...
As for his work, a damn good artist as COH is fantastic...

RIP Brian...

"the driver tried to remove her sweater"
Grrrrr...
Score
Anonymous
September 8, 2010 12:58:28 PM

A true hero, no questions about it. The driver of the blazer deserves to be locked away without the possibility of getting out. To sit there and think about the 3 lives she took because of a stupid decision.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:04:43 PM

That's very sad. And to think I sometimes take my sweater off while driving. I'll make sure to take the time to pull the car over next time.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:06:28 PM

RIP... very brave and inspiring.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:25:02 PM

We lose a fantastic and brave artist. Hopefully his child will grow up and admire him.
Score
September 8, 2010 1:31:11 PM

At least some people in the SUV died. Its sad he wasn't driving a Hummer H1.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter