Which laptop to chose for gaming and school

sasquatchhd

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Im looking for a budget laptop used for gaming and some school. I have a few choices lined out and i am wonder which to go for.

The first:
Has an amd A8-3500 at 2.4Ghz, 6Gb Ram at 1333 and an AMD Radeon HD 6750M.

The second:
Has the same amd a8-3500 but at 1.5 ghz, same memory, but an AMD Radeon HD 6755G2 Dual GPU

Im wondering which to go with the one with the slower cpu or the one with better gpu. Thank you very much for your time and any answers!

Here are the links to them both.

First:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1306296&pagenumber=1&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

Second:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158196

Solution
The CPU's are the same; one quotes the base clock, the other quotes the turbo clock.

Also, the 6755G2 GPU in the second one is simply an asymmetric crossfire of the integrated graphics card and the AMD 6750M. The first one says it has a 6750M too, though. It looks like they chose not to implement the asymmetrical crossfire in the first one...

Other than that oddness with the GPU's, they look identical. The asymmetric crossfire might help, and it might not; I'm unsure which. To be honest, I'm thinking go ahead and get the one with the crossfire enabled if you can afford it. The crossfire will help in newer DX10 and DX11 games, but it'll actually hurt the overall performance in older DX9 games. With developers finally moving to DX10+...

bavarians6

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
The CPU's are the same; one quotes the base clock, the other quotes the turbo clock.

Also, the 6755G2 GPU in the second one is simply an asymmetric crossfire of the integrated graphics card and the AMD 6750M. The first one says it has a 6750M too, though. It looks like they chose not to implement the asymmetrical crossfire in the first one...

Other than that oddness with the GPU's, they look identical. The asymmetric crossfire might help, and it might not; I'm unsure which. To be honest, I'm thinking go ahead and get the one with the crossfire enabled if you can afford it. The crossfire will help in newer DX10 and DX11 games, but it'll actually hurt the overall performance in older DX9 games. With developers finally moving to DX10+ (kind of), I'd go ahead and spend the extra money.

Just my two cents.

Solution

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
^ +1 to bavarians6

The A8-3500M has a base speed of 1.5GHz and a maximum turbo speed of 2.4GHz - it's the same processor in both. Aside from the crossfire implementation, they do seem to be nearly identical.