Need help with laptop diagnosis

stocklett

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
So a friend of mine came to me with his computer asking me for help (it's a VPCF111FX), saying that for some reason it wouldn't charge any more. When it happened he wasn't having any trouble making the computer start up since there was power left in the battery, it simply just wouldn't charge. He'd gone to best buy with it and they determined that the problem was the internal DC power jack. We ordered the part and installed it, but afterwards found that the computer STILL wouldn't start up.

Since then I've tested the connectors with a multi meter to confirm sufficient power is reaching the board and haven't found any problems. Right now it's my guess to say that the problem we're having is with the motherboard, but I don't know exactly what it is, or any way to confirm it without purchasing an entirely new motherboard. Is it possible that the battery is the real issue?

Solution
Connect/solder the new dc jack to the motherboard, then check the back of the dc jack connectors with a multi meter when the power cord is plugged into it.
If there is power there then it's most likely a fried board.
Lots of people start wedging the power cable into the psu socket once they get loose instead of replacing them, often leads to a short or power surge.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Connect/solder the new dc jack to the motherboard, then check the back of the dc jack connectors with a multi meter when the power cord is plugged into it.
If there is power there then it's most likely a fried board.
Lots of people start wedging the power cable into the psu socket once they get loose instead of replacing them, often leads to a short or power surge.

Solution

stocklett

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
If the motherboard was fried though, would it have been able to run off the battery power for the remainder of the battery's life? Or would it have shut down immediately?

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
POssible it could still run off the battery if the power regulation section was killed, possibly just a fuse.
You could connect up the power then trace it through the compotents around the socket to see if its something simple that's blown which you can re solder