Should I get a MacBook Pro? (Web Design)

faithmilli0n

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I currently have a Toshiba laptop, and I absolutely hate it. I'm going to college for web design, and I think it's time to make the switch from PC to Mac. I want to get a 15 inch MacBook Pro, should I? Is it worth the money and will it be good for web design? Thank you :)

k1114

Distinguished
Html is html, etc is etc, you test web sites on all platforms on multiple browsers regardless. Which os is a personal opinion. You could save money on a pc but if you go mac, you may want to wait til you are enrolled so you get a student discount.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
There are merits to both. It is true that it probably doesn't matter, however most web designers and creative types still use Macs. You would fit in better with one :). The mac has higher build quality than most PCs, and frankly is more reliable because of this. Unfortunately, you are also paying at least a 20% premium for the mac. Its your call if you want to purchase the BMW of computers (as Steve himself had called them).

You may also find it easier to be using whatever platform you use on school computers -- full compatibility is nice and helps with lots of little annoyances.

If you are interested in buying a laptop there are two more things to consider -
1 as suggested above, your college definitely will have software and hardware discounts on all types of PCs and Macs. Go ask. Those free Xbox offers that Microsoft does sometimes are certainly compelling ... as are the Mac ipod ones.
2 - Apple will likely release and updated ivy bridge line of laptops this month. Wait for those instead of purchasing now. Try to get one with discrete graphics. They will be more expensive, but for you discrete graphics should be worth it.

splatman213_34

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Ultimatly the choice is yours, but i prefer Windows. Many creatives do use macs but i really like windows 7 and windows 8 seems promising. Anyway contrary to what others may have said, macs arent exactly that reliable, however apple generally replaces macs on the spot, but that doesnt compensate for lost data. You will also be paying a rather large premium for their laptop. you can buy an equally speced windows laptop for as much as 500 less depend ing on how hard you look. also windows will be more compatible. I have had great experiances with Asus Laptops, Sony Laptops, and im am currantly rocking a rather great Hp 14 spectre. Tbh im not a Apple fan, im an avid supporter of Linux and dualboot, also i quadboot mac osx lion, windows 7, windows 8 consumer preview (soon to be Release candidate), and Ubuntu. Anything that can be done on a mac can be done on a pc.
Ps. although the upgrade path on a laptoip is rather limited it will be easire in a few years if your on a windows pc... Hope this helps ....Cheers :)