Help finding the notebook for me $1300-2000 Budget

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey guys,
Im after a new Laptop, I currently have a netbook (EEEPC 1005P) intel atom 450 and i wanna throw it at the wall everytime.. i really got sick of it when 720P videos lag all the bloody time, even with a codec fix.

Anyways I currently own a Desktop but being a security officer and Telecommunications engineering student I need something with a bit of power and mobility, ill be using C++ CCNA and MATLAB it will also be my media player. I've given up on the netbook and i never really used it much. anyways ill answer the questions and i wont write a novel :L

1. What is your budget?

$1300-1800 Australian - Pretty close to us currency ;)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I dont mind heavy or light. I would like something 15INCHES or larger 17 etc as coding is a bitch on smaller screens.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

I would like High def it would definately be a plus. not that i may exactly need it but im a believer in, do it once, do it right.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable laptop I have a Desktop allready and I will only be using this At uni or at work.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Dont exactly need to much as I will be around wall sockets nearly all the time and i will be buying a car charger aswell.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Games are not necessary, i mean it would be a plus but im not a big gamer, I play cod and bf3 on my desktop so, i dont really require high graphics but may play simple old games like super mario or something.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Programming, Assignments, Media playing etc. nothing too fancy but i would like to have extra options.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Would like an SSD plus HDD but not necessary not really fussed but i wouldnt last on just an ssd as i like to store movies and media for later viewing when im out.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I would be looking at ebay and any other computer shops in sydney

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

not too long i want it to be upto date for atleast the next year and last me at least 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not fussed. dvd rom would be sufficient

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Anything decent.

13. What country do you live in?

Australia, Sydney

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I think that pretty much covers it, im really interested in the I7 3rd gen but i really dont see what the hype is 2nd vs 3rd you tell me?

any other questions hints etc ?

cheers.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Well, the 3rd gen of the i7 series has a performance increase of (up to) 30% and lightly increases battery life. If you do a lot of video transcoding, Intel also boosted that performance by 2x (Quick-Sync).
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Australian retailers or e-retailers, so I can only provide laptop suggestions.
Here's a Samsung Model that's pretty capable and claims up to 8hrs of battery life. It's a 17inch but only an inch thick, which is pretty decent.
Sony also makes good, light laptops with decent specs. This model would easily accomplish everything you're asking for with decent battery life and a capable GPU and CPU.

My final advice is to go to XoticPc where you can essentially build any laptop you'd like. They have tons of models, just chose something with a weaker GPU (anything below a 650M for Nvidia and a 76XX or lower for AMD) to ensure good battery life. As well, because you'll be using it a lot for text and video, get the HIGHEST screen resolution possible. That'll reduce eye-strain and make coding a much more pleasant experience (if it can be...). Videos will also look much nicer and a Blu-Ray player would do you good.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Since you don't need a powerful GPU, I would suggest purchasing the MSI GE60. It has an IVY bridge Quad core i7, a GTX660M, and a price tag of USD1200... With your generous budget, you might want to invest in a SSD upgrade, CPU upgrade and maybe 16GB ram? If you seriously think 8GB isn't enough... I am not quite familiar with dealers outside the US...
However, Gentech does provide international shipping. Please email them for the details.
Here is the link: http://www.gentechpc.com/config.asp?config_id=MSI+GE60-0N-042US

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Had a look at the models, nothing really stood out, I'd love to build my own but I'd rather have the peace of mind of whatever im buying has warranty in australia/extended warranty. Also if i cut budgets, im no longer too fussed about IVY bridge etc. I think any decent 2nd gen ivy bridge will do but im after at least 15 inch or 17.3 inch screen which has to be anti glare and also must have a HDMI option. my budget has been cut down to $1500-1700 theres no room to play, all the laptops that i like that are 17.3 inches and 1080p are all damn expensive ~oround the 2k mark.

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

I really like the MSI GE60 but the screen is 15 inches im not too sure if it will suffice for me, im going to have a look at some retailers of what i like, i have to buy it by the end of this month so the government pays $750 for it and i can get a rebate in my tax :D gotta love Australia. Anyways i have my eyes on the GT70 now and i cannot take my eyes off it but its 2k or i might look at the gt60 but its not in australia.