Yikes: The Galaxy Tab is Going to be Expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Galaxy has to compete or better in price if if the company loses some money to gain name and market, otherwise the armageddon of ipad will go on

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
people speculated the iPad to be close to a grand in price before it came out as well.

I expect the Galaxy Tab to have pretty much the same price as the iPad

G

I hear it has flash..I'll get one thru my Cell carrier if they offer it.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
At that price, this product will die. It isn't as portable as a smartphone, it isn't as functional as a netbook or notebook and can't offer what they do. There is no way I could justify spending that much on a glorified ebook reader, and I don;t think other people would either. Most would simply buy an iPad. I also don't want yet another contract with some service provider.

So, I don't believe that this price speculation has any basis in reality. Don't forget, Europe isn't tied into the subsidized market like North America is.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
If I was looking for device like this I'd just get the iPad. They might get the hardware right, but I doubt they'd be able to get the number of developers the app store is able to pull in and those that do develop for it will have to charge more money per title because there will be less potential buyers.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wow, they just pulled a 180 on Apple. Apple couldn't make a "computer" for under $1k, but now they have the iPod/iPhone/iPad in the $200-$600 range. Samsung comes out with a competing tablet product, and shoots right over $1k, PLUS, here in the states, its probably going to be sold at Verizon and require a data plan, just ridiculous.

Where's that $170 Android WiFi tablet K-Mart was selling. That seems like a better deal to me.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
It won't be anywhere near that expensive. I'd put money on the most expensive version being sub-$1000. Samsung isn't (that) clueless.

G

Remember the EU and UK don't usually have subsidized pricing.. I heard from a very reliable source that the price wont be that high in the states.

G

Both the high price and the crippled Linux it comes with puts me off.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]people speculated the iPad to be close to a grand in price before it came out as well. I expect the Galaxy Tab to have pretty much the same price as the iPad[/citation]

The prices they cited are from Europe and in europe the iPad is quite expensive. In my country for example the iPad 16GB costs 694,99€, and the iPad 3G 64GB costs 1.034,99€.

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I just read the following on Yahoo! Finance:

While a price hasn't been set, Samsung product executive Hankil Yoon said in an interview that it would likely retail for between $200 and $300, although the final price would vary depending on different carrier subsidies.

Source:
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110577/samsung-unveils-tablet-to-compete-with-ipad

Doesn't look like it's going to be as expensive as Tom's says. In fact, it should be cheaper than the iPad, which does makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS