GTA IV gpu problems

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hey everyone, i recently bought a dv6-6128ca laptop and it comes with the following:

a6-3410mx cpu
6520g + 6750m gpu
750gb hdd
4gb ddr3
windows 7 home premium 64 bit

I have the catalyst 12.1a drivers installed and i set the dynamics mode for high performance (6750m) on GTA IV in the graphics settings, however it doesnt switch over to the 6750m when i launch the game, i know this because when i ran the benchmark, it labelled that the 6520g was in use.

so does anybody know how to fix this problem? thanks in advance

Solution

Sorry to hear that; at least it's only a problem with GTA IV.
I looked around and found this forum. The best solution they came up with is to uninstall the drivers using driver sweeper, reboot and re-install the drivers. This seems to be a common problem with ATI cards and GTA IV, so you're not alone.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
yes the 6750m is working for all of my other games at the moment (dirt 3 , cod mw3, rage, crysis warhead) but GTA IV seems to be the only one that doesnt switch over, and my bios doesnt support forcing the gpu since HP locked the bios so that it is only available in dynamics mode (kinda like nvidia optimus)

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Sorry to hear that; at least it's only a problem with GTA IV.
I looked around and found this forum. The best solution they came up with is to uninstall the drivers using driver sweeper, reboot and re-install the drivers. This seems to be a common problem with ATI cards and GTA IV, so you're not alone.

Solution

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

alright thanks for your help! the 6520g still fairs off pretty well if i cant fix it, as i get an average of 37 fps in the benchmark but it just drops down to 20 fps every little while but only for a second or two, or during a really populated area it will be around 25 fps so atleast its withstand-able if worst comes to worst