1000 budget. Gaming laptop, College. Help please.

ayobmx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
1. What is your budget?
about 1000.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 +
3. What screen resolution do you want?
not sure. whatever supports HD .
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
does not matter, I do not mind lugging a bulky laptop . Will generally be on my desk in my dorm room.
5. How much battery life do you need?
3 + hours, but will be near an outlet.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Dota2, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, warcraft III. high .

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
school work, lots of movies. might take on photoshop.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
at least 500 gb will suffice
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None, whichever will be best for my money. Will not buy from sketchy sites though.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years ( throughout college)
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Dvd ROM.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
ASUS because I have heard great things about them relating to the gaming world(?) might be broscience.
But is not a priority. Whatever is best bang for the buck

13. What country do you live in?
United states
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Very open to opinions, do not hold back. haha.

I hope this can help people find their ideal notebook.

Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops?

Have no knowledge on laptop fixers, but generally in chinatown they are very sketchy. I will most likely take great care of my future laptop.

Thanks for looking ! :hello:

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

That would fit your needs as long as you don't mind having slightly outdated components (2nd generation processor and last year's model Nvidia card).

The screen is substantially nicer than the lenovo I linked, but the lenovo has the upgraded chipset and graphics card.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Just remember, if you buy a custom laptop, you'll need to order it at least 2 weeks ahead of when you're leaving for college. Also, it's a good idea to get one and test it out for a little while before classes start. You don't want to end up with a lemon, that would be the worst. So, 3 weeks if you're ordering a custom built, and 2 if you're buying from newegg or amazon (minimum). And as Junky said, more reviews and models will be available for you.

ayobmx

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
If you don't need it now then it'll be better to wait a month or two. Then we'll be smarter. Or maybe not smarter, but we would have more information and reviews

didnt mean to imply anything like that :(

just use pencil

yeah, i wont need a laptop for July, but am getting restless looking over reviews and stuff :x.

I have now decided to wait until the end of july. probably update this thread as I go

TRENDING THREADS