I broke my kids new computer

oldMANmtn

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
i tried to double the ram,as seen on the web (not in english)..anyway the ribbon locking clip on one side broke....is there anyway this can be fixed,if so how...my kid is real up set,she saved up for this....

A small piece of sticky tape will do the job just as well but be very carefull to make sure the ribbon cable is pushed fully home before sticking it - it won't stand up to the strain of the tape being pulled off.

The alternative is a new motherboard or screen - depending which end you broke.

DISCLAIMER: I have never - ever - carried out this bodged repair job on any of my customers' laptops! :D

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Here's what you do. Lie. Lie through your teeth like a true parent. Say that it was a punishment for bad grades, or because she has a boyfriend, or because she doesn't have a boyfriend. The reason doesn't matter.

Seriously though, brass tacks. Are you talking about the metal clip that holds the RAM in or the plastic clip that holds the keyboard ribbon down?

Assuming it's the ribbon i'd go with Saga Lout's solution, just slap some tape on that bad boy, all the locking mechanism is there for is retension to hold it in place, and electrical tape would work just fine for that. Once that ribbon is in, it doesn't go anywhere.

As far as I know there is no "fix" for a broken ribbon ZIF connector.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ahh run out and buy a new netbook?

Check and see if its under warranty?

mattbe2dope

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
net books are cheap as all hell so if its that big a deal just replace it tho the lie thing works too kids are kind of easy to trick just ask how rough are you with this thing and bam done deal