Aftermarket SSD Upgrade vs. Customizing To Include SSD

decrescendo

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I'm very much in the market for a 13.3-15.6" Windows 7 laptop, however, I have some questions about laptops and SSDs.

I'm noticing there are some laptops out there that meet all of my requirements except for the inclusion of an SSD (not a cache/HD combo). No matter what you do, you cannot add a SSD during the online customization process (new HP Sleekbook, for instance).

1. If I really desire an SSD, should I automatically rule out all laptops that don't come with that option from the factory?

2. Or should I always consider the option of swapping in an SSD after it arrives at my doorstep?

3. Is there anything (from a hardware or software perspective) keeping me from adding a SSD if the manufacturer doesn't include that option?

4. Are SDD/laptop compatibility issues such a common occurrence that it should scare me into simply buying a laptop that comes with one from the factory?

Thanks, everyone!

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Well, the motherboad of the laptop may not support SSD by default.. You'd need to make sure there is a firmware upgrade available in the case it doesn't, or does the manufacturer allow you to customize the laptop to include an SSD ( a sign the motherboard does in deed support SSDs).

If the manufacturer does not allow SSDs... I wouldn't rule out the possibility (since I can't tell you for certain whether or not it would or wouldn't work.) I can only say there is a chance it won't.

Also, swapping out for an SSD means that you'll need to get Windows 7 reinstalled. As long as you have a reinstall disk, I believe that it should work to reinstall Windows on the laptop.

decrescendo

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I'm glad you brought up that last point about the OS reinstallation because it has been a question of mine. I posted a separate thread in this forum about reinstalling Windows on laptops without internal optical drives. I've always wondered how external optical drives are recognized by the machien if you are trying to use them to reinstall Windows.

That being said, I guess it does sound sort of risky to try an aftermarket upgrade. I would hate for the machine to be plagued by problems afterward.