How to tell if diablo 3 is using dedicated gpu?

heartofgold

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hi all. I recently bought a laptop with a radeon 6650 as well as the 6520g integrated chip. How will I know for sure that Diablo 3 is using the dedicated card over the integrated when running? The reason I ask is because when d3 booted up, it asked if I wanted to update drivers for the card it detected (which was the integrated one).

t7UDp.jpg

heartofgold

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
All that shows when I do that is 'graphics properties' and 'configure switchable graphics' I can assign diablo 3 under 'high performance', but I really can't do anything else. Am I to assume that it's ok? I'm playing diablo 3 on high texture and low shadow/low physics/low clutter and it seems a bit stuttery at times.

You can test D3 with just the 6520G, with just the HD 6650 and then with both to get an idea how things are working.

Also check in the D3 game forums about what settings to use to get best all-round game performance with notebooks like yours.

heartofgold

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

No, it doesn't. It gives me the option to enable crossfire in one of the menus, but nothing like what you showed.

heartofgold

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
under grahpics properties, theres a 'switchable graphics' page. that's where I labeled diablo 3 under high performance.

'Choose whether to run applications on the high performance or power saving graphics processor.

heartofgold

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
appreciate the help, wr2. i turned off crossfire and the game seems to be running fine on high texture/high shadow. i guess i should assume the 6650 is kicking in else the 6520 probably couldnt handle that.