Dell vs Gateway

fobnicat

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
I am trying to find my fiance a good laptop for her to use in Grad school/basic internet usage. She really doesn't do much other than facebook (bleh), email, papers and bills. Normally I would take plenty of time finding the best deal, but being at Army OCS, I have very little time to do the research and find the best deal. I have always used Tom's whenever I build my desktops every few year and I have never been steered in the wrong direction.

I have been able to narrow it down to two laptops. Being that I don't deal with laptops very often, I am at a loss.

Best Buy has the Gateway NV57H57U for $450:
Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i5 2.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz)
6gb Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz
15.6" High-definition widescreen LED-backlit LCD with Ultrabright technology (1366 x 768)
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
640gb 5400rpm SATA drive

and Dell has their 15r N5110 for about $575 (just for today):
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz)
6GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz
15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with Truelife™
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
1TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

So Dell has a larger harddrive (not a huge deal, I doubt she will ever fill up the 640gb) and a slightly faster processor. But is it worth the extra $125? I really dont know how Dell and Gateway compare in quality. My old Gateway has served me fine, but its 5 years old (like I said, I don't use a laptop very often).

Anyone have a preference? Advice? Gateway seems like the better deal, but I feel like I am missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hello,

Honostly if she just uses facebook - the Gateway provides plenty of power at a cheaper price.

All companies have problems - but what you want to look for is a good warranty (say more then 2-3 years) and a good price.

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Since you stated they would be using it for grad school I would say go with your original gateway. It has enough power that when they get into office and start writing papers and listening to music and using facebook and who know what else there is a decent cushion there performance wise. You can cut down on the price but if it is going to be for school I would stick with your original gateway.

Flare

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
True but without knowledge of what else the user might need to run an additional 125$ is not to much to allow for over head and growth in case it is needed.

Flare

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

You must have missed this part

"She really doesn't do much other than facebook (bleh), email, papers and bills."

An i3 is good for anything from email to hardcore gaming.