Good laptop for picture- and videoediting, multi-tasking, light gaming - with gr

Sonja89

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi, I don't know if I'm asking this question in the right
forum, so bare with me please :)

I'm looking for a new PC and I'm really confused at the moment with all the pros and cons and numerous models out there - and none of them seems to be exactly right for me.

I found these questions, which I will answer - and then I hope some of you can help me find the right PC for me :)

1. What is your budget?
I would like to pay about 2000$, but not more than 3000$ - I am on a budget, but would like a great computer, that is ready for the "future".

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I think that 13" is a bit small, but then again - a 15" screen laptop is often quite heavy and I would get tired of that. Rather a really light 15" than a heavy 13" :)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Mostly a desktop replacement - but it shouldn't be too heavy, because I will need to transport it from time to time.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not that important - but I would like it to run for more than 2 hours, though...

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I have an xbox 360, which I prefer to play on - but I would like to be able to do some light/moderate gaming - Sims 3, for instance.
- and then again, you never know what the future holds! :)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
My main reason to get a new laptop is that I would be able to do picture-editing in photoshop, while browsing the web in several browsers and windows/tabs, while I'm listening to music, editing a video, downloading files, making a website in dreamweaver and using inDesign all at the same time - without my computer bruning down. Actually I would like it to run smoothly. Maybe I can restrict myself to doing half of the tasks at the same time, but I hope you get the idea - I want to be able to multitask with heavy files.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I would like a minimum of 256GB - and I want an SSD drive - I have external HDD drives for storage.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
none really, but I live in Denmark, so a European store is prefered

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years or more

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD+CD player and burner. lueray would be an extra affordance - I might begin to use it if I had it, but I haven't used one yet...

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I was quite keen on the Dell XPS 15z, but then I read bad reviews - it seemed like a bad-quality, but expensive PC. It would get too noisy and get really warm - and I would like to avoid that :)

I'm quite interested in the HP ENVY, the HP ENVY Spectre, the ASUS N56VM with the i7-3720QM processor.

But all of those laptops haven't come out yet - have they? What are your thought on them and can you maybe show me some alternatives?

13. What country do you live in?
Denmark, Northern Europe

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would like a light-weight, nice looking PC in a quality chasis. I would rather spend more money on a quality PC, than buy the first one that comes along and then get dissaopinted..

I like the simple, sleek macbook air look (but I don't want a Mac!)

I have an idea of what kind of specs I need and I would like your thoughts on them as well:

i7 - 3720QM processor - 2.2ghz as a minimum
6GB RAM
256GB SSD
1920x1080p resolution

Wow, that was a lot of text - hope you can help me :)

And if I'm looking for some kind of ideal super-computer that hasn't come out yet, maybe you can give me a reality-check and maybe show me some alternatives?

What would be too heavy?
Im guessing since you listed HP Envy 15 and Asus N56 that you're looking in the 3kg or under range.

With the kind of specifications you have and the range of options you want, a custom laptop from www.xnb.dk might be a good fit for your requirements and budget.

XNB SHOCKWAVE IV15 - GT630M / HD4000 Optimus

Sonja89

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Yes, I'd prefer it to be under 3kg, but I know that I can't have everything - and all the specs that I would like in my PC all contribute to the weight :)

Thanks for your reply - I'll check it out right away :)

Jebediah Smith

Honorable
May 27, 2012
You are looking at a very similar setup to what I have been researching lately. Here are a few of the sites I was looking at (all relatively similar bottom line, depending on exactly which features you would like). I didn't research their international shipping, and most seem to be USA-based.

http://www.mythlogic.com/configure.php?id=105
http://www.sagernotebook.com/
http://www.xoticpc.com/
http://avadirect.com/

The only suggestion I would offer to your specs is to consider adding some more RAM. With that amount of multi-tasking and picture editing you are likely to eat through the 6 GB. All of the custom build sites will let you upgrade that RAM considerably. I was looking at about 16 GB for my wife's graphic arts computer (but only looking at 8 GB for my gaming laptop).

The other bit I found is that your needs won't benefit much from an intensive video card if you only plan on light gaming. That's good, because notebook video cards seem to cap out quickly on performance and tend to be very expensive.

Oh, one more thing, if you are wanting professional quality photo, I would strongly consider upgrading the screen for better colors.