Hey im looking to get into film and editing. what laptop would you say

jake2248

Honorable
May 27, 2012
hey like it says i want to get into film. i have a canon 60d and want to be able to edit. i was looking at the dell xps 15. any other recommendations? something fast and great looking for videos. thanks

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012

The Dell XPS 15 is no longer worth buying because it no longer offers the upgraded 1920x1080 display.

15.6" 1366x768 displays, such as the stock display offered with the Dell XPS 15 and now the only display offered, make things onscreen large and tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast. I recommend against buying laptops that have these types of displays to those who have a budget that allows them to get a laptop that has a better display and still suits their needs, and who don't require larger text for eyesight-related reasons.

On the other hand, the 1920x1080 B+RGLED display that was offered is one of the best 15.6" displays available for under $1K, due to its high color gamut of 95% NTSC in addition to its high resolution and contrast. It is great for graphics editing, especially when calibrated or profiled.

If you are willing to buy a Refurbished laptop, then you can still find some pre-built refurbished models of the Dell XPS 15 in the Outlet that include the 1920x1080 B+RGLED display. Follow this link to the Dell Outlet section for the XPS 15 (L502x), and search for listings that include 15.6 inch FHD (1080p) B+RGLED Display with 2.0 MP webcam under "available options and upgrades" and under the specific configuration for the particular model you are looking at buying. Avoid the models that list 1366x768 resolution.

However, a similar laptop that may be of interest to you is the Sony Vaio F. It, too, has excellent audio and display quality.