Game Capable Laptop 500-600

Maelodic

Honorable
May 25, 2012
1. What is your budget?

500-600. If there is financing, I'd be able to go over 600, but not by much. I'm trying to get something for an even 500 if at all possible.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Anything.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1600x900 preferred. I've found Acer Laptops with that but not much else. I would be willing to go to 1366x768 or something like that if required.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Doesn't matter. As long as it fits in a large backpack.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Preferably 3 hours or more. Not that tall of an order.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes;

Skyrim - Solid FPS the entire way
League of Legends - (If I can play Skyrim, I can play league)
Diablo 3 - Med/High - Solid FPS
PS2 Emulation. I own the games, but my ps2 is bork, all legal and crap. I miss FFX/KH/KH2/Rydar. I have an adapter to plug a ps2 contoller into a computer. One console mang.

So also HDMI preferred as well.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Video Editing/Heavy Sound Editing/Vectoring (Inkscape)/Graphic Design/High-Tab web browsing/Skyping

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

250GB or above.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

As long as it's a trusted site, like amazon/newegg/tigerdirect/delloutlet/whatever, I'm down with it. I would again prefer to be able to finance, but saving up for it is solid too.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

5+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

At least DVD and writer. Bluray would rock, but not required.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I really like Acer, because I've always had a good experience with them, but I am not apposed to really anything as long as it's built solid.

13. What country do you live in?

USA-Utah.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'd really like to find a laptop at this price range (and again preferably 500) that will not go away. There's been multiple laptops I've found that are like this, but as I'm saving up for them, they just disappear or the price gets magically higher.
I'm really biased towards i5/i7 processors, especially 2nd/3rd gen but I don't know a whole lot about AMD. I know the like, 6 or 8m or something is close to the sandy bridge, but again I don't know enough about AMD for me to trust myself in buying it. I do want a good processor (for ps2 emulation), and if it has 4gb, make sure it's one slot so I can upgrade the second slot to 8.

Anything else is really a bonus. I want a sturdier machine that will last a long time. I understand batteries die, but you know, I don't want the LCD to die or anything.

I'd prefer something not glossy.

I need a webcam on it, but that's standard nowadays.

The finger reader thing is cool, but not required.

I'd prefer at least one USB 3.0 port.

I'd prefer a dedicated graphics card that is better than the Intel HD 3000. I am partial to Nvidia, but really anything that's dedicated/discrete and above the HD 3000 would be great.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
$500 to $600 is going to be quite low for a gaming laptop. In that price range you are looking at all setting in the low range and even then I am not sure Skyrim would be playable at a good frame rate.

Maelodic

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Well, I'll have to tell you it's possible to find what I'm looking for. I've found it before, but it was promotional, and it quickly was sold out. I'm just looking for something solid to hold onto while I save up.

There's been a few others, but this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2008030&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=Es5Ekr9eEBk-TgPO_jtZrHaEsCaM2Pl0cQ

This WAS $500 a few days ago. And it was exactly like what I'm looking for, but the deal's gone now, and I'm looking for other ones like it.

Just wait and shop around for deals that may pop up. Father's Day is coming up so there there may be some laptops going on sale. Then there's the 4th of July holiday (umm... that's on July 4, 2012... just in case you didn't know :) ), so there may be some up coming sales around that time. After that you will run into the "back to school sale" in August... Labor Day weekend in Sept. Then comes Halloween in October. Followed up by the ever popular Black Friday in November, and last but not least Christmas. So basically, there should be a sale going on every month.

If you are in a rush to get laptop, then you'll need to increase your budget.

Maelodic

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Best stable deal I've found:

$601
Acer Aspire AS7750G-6645 NX.RVHAA.002 Notebook PC
Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz
4GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7670M, 17.3 Display

Am I going to be able to find anything better?