Laptop spill help

Transgress

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hi, about a week back a spilt about 10 mL of sparkling juice (non-alchoholic) on my lenovo y570. The spill was quite isolated to the right side of the keyboard, which was right above a metal plate and the optical drive.

I made the huge mistake of not making a huge deal out of it, and after using it for about 10 mins things started to freeze and the keyboard stopped working. I also made the mistake of checking on it :na: , but then stopped touching it and removed the battery for about a day. I removed the keyboard and let it dry.

I dryed off the keyboard with a hairdryer and noticed that some keys were sticky (which weren't before), and i sensed that the small amount of liquid was evaporated. While just attaching the keyboard chord, i tested the laptop, and was surprised to find that everything was working; some keys in the spilt area were typing in random things they werent supposed to, but after a reboot everything was fine :wahoo: , so i installed the keyboard (the keyboard was out of its slot before) , and the keyboard wasnt working again :cry:. I found that tilting the loose keyboard while it is just connected by a chord would make the laptop type in random letters.

I left the hardware to dry again for 48 hours, and everything seemed fine. I was watching videos on the laptop for about 3 hours, and boom, it froze, and the keyboard stopped working again :heink: . I tested it again a couple of times and found that some of the keys would lag inputs or repeat uncontrollably at random intervals. I plugged in an external keyboard and found that everything was fine.

I know it was a long read, but i am completley perplexed at the root of the problem. Lenovo does not sell y570 keyboard replacements, and if you bore with the read.......
Any ideas? :sweat:

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-IBM-Lenovo-V570-Y570-B570-B570A-B570G-series-US-keyboard-black-as-pic-/180843318792?pt=Keyboard_Mice_Bundles&hash=item2a1b1a0e08

Looks like you can get them on ebay. I'm guessing the above is the correct one? Might check amazon.com. If a replacement does not do it, then my guess would that you may have messed up the motherboard. Hopefully if you are lucky though, you only took out the keyboard and didn't get moisture onto the board or into the connector. You may be able to clean some things up with a little straight rubbing alcohol on the end of a q tip, then let it dry before you start anything. But remove the charger and battery before doing the cleaning.