How to find the Ribbon Cable on a Toshiba Satellite A105

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I'm pretty sure you're referring to the LCD panel cable. You'll likely have to pull the bottom of your laptop chassis off. Typically it's not hard to do, but it's not for the feint of heart...

(Some general instructions, not really tailored for your laptop)
You'll need to remove all the screws from the bottom, find any hidden screws (sometimes they are hidden under the feet of the laptop, which are hard to get stuck back on properly), and you'll need to release any of the internal plastic latches around the edge of your laptops seal (these will keep you from pulling the thing apart after removing the screws, a small screwdriver can help you find them, and a light push should get them to release).
Once the bottom is off, you should be able to see the cable coming down from the LCD (a small bundle of 20 or 30 wires ususally with a plastic connector on the end). You'll want to be very careful with the connector, because you can't fix it. Try to gently pull it out, and put it back in firmly (if you are confident you won't break it in either step).

You maybe able to find a handy-helpful youtube video that shows how to dissassemble your laptop model. Make sure you keep very detailed notes of where you got different screws from, depending on the model they can use quite a few different screws and you'll want to put them back where they came from. Be gentle with every step, there lots of plastic snaps you can break, and your laptop won't fit back together well if you break too many.
Also use ESD protection so you don't static shock your laptops innards.

There are your basic instructions, but seriously it's risky to disassemble a laptop, especially if you don't know what your doing.

packpatfan

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Well, it's cause once I boot up and enter the BIOS password, the screen gets VERY dark. I can still see things if I am in bright light, but it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done.

packpatfan

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
That's what I thought, but I talked to a technician and he said it was most likely the LCD Ribbon cable. He also said that it is impossible to replace an LCD back-light. The graphics aren't corrupted, it is just really dark.

Hi :)

I repeat ..its NOT the cable....

Its either the Inverter or the Screen ...

All the best Brett :)

attk mast3r

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Repairing the inverter is much more difficult than replacing the screen, if you can pay $60 I would recommend replacing the screen: http://www.partsguy.net/laptop_parts_Toshiba-Purchase_a_Toshiba_A105_A135_15.4_LCD_screen_LTN154X3-L06.html (May or may not be your screen, search for the specific part number)

I would recommend trying to repair the inverter 1st, it won't matter if you break it beyond repair since it's broken already.

Note: judging by the part number of the screen in the link it may be a Samsung branded, it will be either Samsung or LG most likely since they manufacture the generic PnP monitors. Some people don't know this.