Dell inspiron n5010 Ac adapter problem

dave513271

Honorable
May 14, 2012
hey everyone, Recently my dell inspiron n5010 has failed to recognize my 90W adapter (despite powering it just fine).
full error message:
"The Ac power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.
the battery may not charge.
the system will adjust the performance to match the power available
please connect a dell 90W AC adapter or greater for the best system performance.
Strike the F3 key (before F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning message
strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup utility"
The central pin in the 90W adapter looks fine and the battery works without the adapter (also works with just adapter inserted), however, The computer wont charge and scales down the processing power to a crippling speed. Given that my warranty is finished and Dell support doesnt help much once warranty is up, is there anything I can do to get the processor back to its full functionality?

DELL_Varun_T

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hi Dave
My name is Varun and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.
The problem which you are facing with the system we can surly resolve the issue for you. Will request you to follow the steps
Check for the battery and AC Adapter, functionality and status in BIOS by pressing F2 when you see dell logo while starting the system.
*Check whether the battery Status is Enabled in Control Panel under Power Options.
*Check the Dell Battery Meter (will be available only if Quickset is installed) or just check the battery status in Control Panel under Power Options.
* Install / update Dell Quickset and flash the BIOS (Minimum Req. : Battery Charged > 10% and Functional AC Adapter).you can Install / update Dell Quickset and flash the BIOS from www.support.dell.com under home user.
Also will request you to use the ac adapter which came along with the system .
After doing that your system will restart if you get the same err message then please do reply us back on same thread.
Thanks

Dell-Varun_T

ayassally

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hay mr, i have had the same problem and went through several ways while checking online and nothing worked out. BUT Finally what i did was

1. Remove the battery and run the bios Flash Wizard. Then windows will prompt you saying that there is No battery,
2. then insert the battery to your laptop (the battery which is Below 10%) and press OK/Continue and your system will not detect that the battery is below 10% and will complete the Wizard
3. Now your system will reboot with the New Bios update.

Hamdulillah (All praise be to Allah) I didn't suffer more than 2 hours with this No charging Problem. Thank God.

vizgl

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
There is a chip in the Dell AC adapter that communicates with the motherboard to identify itself, evidently something has failed either with the chip or the motherboard. I would try another AC adapter, if this does not cure the problem, it is a motherboard issue.

vbzlife

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Gabrielle... Did you ever figure out what was going on? I am having the same issue. As soon as I plug in my power adapter the power adapter light shuts off? It will not charge my system??? Thus, I can't get my system to turn on?

abdur123

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
If you plug your charger in ur laptop and the light goes off on the charger its the power ic that blown for the dell N5010. Very easy to locate it. Its near the charging pin just look closely u will notice it is burnt. The ic is creamish in colour. Just remove that ic it n ur laptop should power on

LWhite422

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

I too, have same problem! Any suggestions please!!

LWhite422

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

What is that and where exactly is it, and how to I remove it?

syedjaffar

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014

I have been supplied with 65W A/C adapter bundled with my Dell Studio 1569 while it needs 90W adapter. Previously it was charging the batteries in normal way but not it has got very very slow. I know it can be fixed through making changes in Bios. Please help me to make those changes to get battery charging on normal speed.

christhepcguy

Estimable
May 11, 2014
I was having an issue with my Inspiron N5010 "plugged in not charging" wouldn't update the BIOS because of the 0% battery. Tried 2 different chargers and 3 different batteries I had. I went into the BIOS and under the Advanced tab there was an option for "Charger Behavior". That was disabled. I set it to enable, rebooted and now the battery is charging.

ksyazgan

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014

Hi Dave513271,
I had been working on the mentioned problem for a long time and I discovered very very easy solution ;
In order to fix the problem please follow to below steps ;
1. Plug off the power cable of ac adapter,
2. Decharge the output of the ac adapter with using a paperclip wire etc... (Connect a paperclips to pins +/- at the same moment...)
3. Plug the a adapter to pc and power on normally..

Regards,

plodman

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014

Hi Varun. I have tried your solution but still nothing. I have got a new battery from Dell, bios is all set correctly, but ac adapter- cannot be recognized. I can use the laptop with ac adaptor plugged in, but does not charge battery(new 20% full). What else can try?

RIGHT AGAIN

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
The below comment needs to be deleted IMMEDIATELY.........

Hamdulillah (All praise be to Allah) I didn't suffer more than 2 hours with this No charging Problem. Thank God.
[/quotemsg]

Asad Azam

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
When the computer was ON I removed the battery and the reattached it after 5-6 seconds. It was charging now.(Don't worry the computer will not switch off when you remove the battery).

Hussein Omobola

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Shutdown the system, unplug the power adapter and remove the battery from the notebook. Then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, reattach the battery and plug in the power adapter. You shouldn't get the error message anymore. Problem solved.