Notebook temperatures, please help!

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hi,
I have an old Pavillion DV7 notebook, I've had it for about 2 or more years. Recently I've been having a lot of blue screens, and I'm thinking it has something to do with my temperatures. So I installed SIW, and did a check right after a blue screen. The CPU was 70 degrees Celsius. After a few minutes, I tried to run Prime95, checking temperatures while it was running. I ended up stopping the program after about 5 minutes, because the CPU was up to 80 degrees!
I've tried cleaning the inside, to get all of the dust out. But I can't get to the CPU, so all I could do was try and blow compressed air through, where I could. The only cooler, visible from the outside, normally runs VERY hot while the computer is running.
Does anyone have any suggestions as too what I can do about this?

PS: The latest blue screen I've gotten was when I tried to log into my newly installed Diablo 3. I tried logging in for about 5+ minutes, and it just suddenly blue screened me. It's after that event that I found out the CPU was 70 degrees. (After a reboot)

aznwings

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Why don't you just get a laptop cooler? Plus, 80 degrees celsius is not THAT bad. My MSI laptop goes up to 90 degrees celsius while gaming. Check your event viewer on your laptop. There may be a program that is unstable and is causing your computer to blue screen. It's happened to me before.

To go to event viewer, right-click 'My Computer,' click Manage, and a new window should pop up. Go to the event viewer section by navigating to it on your left. From there, find programs that have a red exclamation mark or X on it that occured right before your laptop BSoD'ed. This error should give you a vague idea of what program caused it. You can search up the specific file name to see what program caused your BSoD and HOPEFULLY this fixes your error. If not, maybe it really is your laptop overheating.

Drugoli

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
After about 2 and a half hours of work with my dad, we finally got to the cooler, cleaned and put on new Arctic thermal paste, and got it reassembled. The temperatures have defiantly improved. Now after about 5 mins of Prime95 the temperatures just barely climbed to 70 degrees.

But what part of the event viewer am I supposed to look at? When I check it out, there are tons of things that have exclamation marks. But I can't find any that are right as the thing blue screen, only a few minutes after. And I don't know if there is some specific under section under the event viewer where I should be looking.
Please explain a bit further :)

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
+1, 80-90 for a laptop is not that bad depending on the cpu model (some mobile core 2 duo has 100 degree tops)

so long as it doesn't reach it.

As for diablo III, there are a few bug still needed to be fixed.

What whas BSOD error code ?

You can download bluescreenview and post it. It will give us clues on what is going on.

You also have to consider that laptop gpu can be a problem with gaming.