Help buying a new Samsung or HP laptop.

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I are about to buy a new laptop.

We were originally going to buy this Samsung model NP305E7A-A02US

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+17.3%26%2334%3B+Series+3+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+High-Gloss+Silver/4707155.p?id=1218512739781&skuId=4707155

But, then this HP g7-1338dx was just released at the same price [$449.99].

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+17.3%26%2334%3B+Pavilion+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Pewter/5373846.p?id=1218637210212&skuId=5373846

I originally wanted that Samsung because of the nice look [Mac style buttons] and nice silver finish. But the HP seems to be practically the same system but with a higher rated processor. Though, maybe I'm overlooking something.

I would be grateful for any suggestions, or personal experiences with these laptops, or brands. Thank you.

Solution
No problem. Yes they both use shared memory for video support.

If that's your case - go for the HP. Especially if the samsung will cost more.

If you can wait - i'm sure someone else could recommend you a better deal - there are so many deals out right now for laptops every so often - it's hard to keep track of them all.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hello,

It depends. What is the main purpose of the laptop?

The HP has a better CPU. while the samsung has a better "graphics card".

The HP will make opening and closing programs quicker. The samsung will be slightly slower, however the graphics card it in will be able to play games better.

Now that you know what the main differences are, which one do you want?

djdarko

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hi thanks for the reply. I was really confused about the graphics cards. As there doesn't seem direct comparisons, and they use shared memory right?

We probably won't be playing anything too graphically intense on it, maybe adventure games like the new Leisure Suit Larry, or the Monkey Island Remakes.

I think we will go with the HP, as we can order it straight to home without tax or shipping. The Samsung will actually be more expensive [+$26] because it's in-store pickup only, and our local BestBuy is about 40 miles away in a sales tax state (Idaho).

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
No problem. Yes they both use shared memory for video support.

If that's your case - go for the HP. Especially if the samsung will cost more.

If you can wait - i'm sure someone else could recommend you a better deal - there are so many deals out right now for laptops every so often - it's hard to keep track of them all.

Solution