Laptop for ~500

kuthedude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
1. What is your budget?

$300 - $600, maybe a bit more...

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15" or 17" screen,

3. What screen resolution do you want?

I guess the more the merrier. Not too concerned about it.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Nope

5. How much battery life do you need?

This laptop will be plugged in while sitting on my coffee table for the most part. Not too concerned about it

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

If possible, I would like to be able to play BF3 on low maybe medium settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mostly internetting...must have HDMI out to plug into my tv.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not really an issue either, I guess between 250GB - 500GB. I have externals all over the place.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I have been looking at a few ebay auctions. But refurb or used isn't really an issue.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

hopefully 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not really important....I dont plan on ever using the optical drive for anything. I have an external if I need one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I guess I am open to all brands. I don't specifically hate any brand. I have had things go wrong with all brands over the years.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet. Basically, I want the best of both worlds (hard, I know). This laptop will mostly be used for browsing the internet, and using the HDMI out to watch movies on my tv. However, I would like the option to at least run bf3 if I am super bored at work. I can live without it though. My desktop is a beast and runs everything on max settings very well. So if I really get into a game, I'm covered on that part. I would just like the option ya know?

What I would really like, is a laptop with a backlit keyboard and a fingerprint reader. I know these are just cosmetic things, but I would sacrifice not being able to vgame from time to time for those features.

I have been looking at Asus A53TA-XE2, Dell XPS 15z, and others that are similar on ebay. Refurb and used is okay with me, assuming the seller rating is good etc. Basically, if I can find something used for the right price...I'll do it. But I'm fine with buying something new that is lacking a dedicated graphics card.

Let me know what you guys think. Thank you all in advance.

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
$600 is a very difficult number to work with, since most laptops with decent graphics start at $700. Especially if you play BF3, which has the Frostbite Engine.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Wont get you a fingerprint reader or backlit keys but you aren't gonna get that at this price. Otherwise it might do what you want for $385. the APUs are supposed to be overclockable in laptops but I haven't looked into it much

Note, deal ends at midnight central time

www.woot.com

Specifications:
Processor: AMD A6-3420M (1.5GHz)
Processor Core: Quad-Core
Screen Size: 15.6"
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Display Type: HD LCD Display
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6520G
Memory: 4GB DDR3 (expandable to 8GB)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATA (5400rpm)
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD±RW
Network: 10/100 Base-T
Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
Card Reader: 4-in-1 Memory Card Reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)
Battery: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion 4400mAh 5.1 Hour
Sound: Built-in 3W Stereo Speakers (1.5W x2)
Webcam: 0.3MP
Microphone: Integrated
Keyboard: Standard with 10-Keypad
Pointing Device: Touchpad
I/O Ports:
HDMI: 1
USB 2.0: 3
VGA: 1
RJ-45: 1
Headphone-out: 1
Mic-in: 1
Operating System: