HP reliability

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hello everybody,
I am in the midst of researching a new laptop. Preferably a 15 inch with an i7 and NO number pad (centered keyboard and trackpad). I started another thread on this but few people replied with options.

That being said, I have noticed that the 15" HP envy fits these and I was hoping to get some input on the HP brand reliability on their "relatively" high end laptops. Generally when I think of laptop quality brands like Apple, Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung, and Asus associate with well constructed and durable design. I also think of brands like Gateway, Dell, and HP for having awful reliability. However, I really want a 15 inch laptop without a number pad and I haven't gotten any help in finding alternatives.

What is the general tom'shardware consensus on HP's upper level laptop reliability?

Thanks! And I really hope I don't step on anyone's toes with this thread

Solution
In your other thread, I mentioned some very reliable Lenovo Thinkpads that fit your needs. Regarding relaiblity of HP, it is difficult to determine the overall reliability of a brand because models available from a given brand tend to vary vastly, but if I were to guess then I would say that the HP Envy 15 is at least on the better side of what HP has to offer. This is just a guess.

If you were to buy the HP Envy 15, then there are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- The lowest configuration I would recommend would be the base model plus the 1920x1080 display upgrade. Don't buy the HP Envy 15 in any configuration that includes the stock 1366x768 display. The 15.6" 1366x768 display has very poor image quality, and it makes...

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
In your other thread, I mentioned some very reliable Lenovo Thinkpads that fit your needs. Regarding relaiblity of HP, it is difficult to determine the overall reliability of a brand because models available from a given brand tend to vary vastly, but if I were to guess then I would say that the HP Envy 15 is at least on the better side of what HP has to offer. This is just a guess.

If you were to buy the HP Envy 15, then there are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- The lowest configuration I would recommend would be the base model plus the 1920x1080 display upgrade. Don't buy the HP Envy 15 in any configuration that includes the stock 1366x768 display. The 15.6" 1366x768 display has very poor image quality, and it makes things onscreen large.
- The 1920x1080 Radiance IPS display has excellent contrast and very wide viewing angles, but it has problems with reproducing the color red. The color it reproduces leans more to the orange-ish spectrum. The 1366x768 display's low contrast is a significantly worse issue though.
- The coupon code available for the HP Envy 15 just expired a few hours ago, but it is likely that a new coupon code will be available in a few more hours. I will try to remember to update this post with the coupon code.

Solution

seanmcc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Thank you edit,
I read your other post in addition to this one. And I was thinking the same thing with the screen options on both models. I guess on this thread I am just remarking at my prejudices against companies like Dell and HP and was hoping to hear that I was wrong and/or completely dependent on the model rather than the manufacturer (like a car). Maybe someone else who has had an envy 15 will reply with their experiences...

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I have used HP's for years and they are certainly as reliable as any and better than most.

However, after a recent run in with their tech support and escalations managers I will never buy an HP again. Instead I will try Dell and Lenovo until they do something stupid to cause me to try another.

In a nutshell, I had a bad piece of RAM that needed to be replaced in a clients machine. They insisted on only replacing it if I sent the machine in or paid extra to have someone come on site to replace it for me. The first person said this is because they wanted to make sure it was fixed and there were no issues with the new RAM (understandable, but I am 20+ years in the pc repair industry). The second person and final person I dealt with insist it was because they have too many people not return the broken piece. As I pointed out, this RAM is $12 on NewEgg with free shipping, I'm pretty sure they could risk the sub $10 expense of me not returning it to maintain my business (beyond the fact I have a long history of support with them). He refused, and thus I am no longer selling their equipment nor replacing equipment with an HP brand. (There was a little more to this story, like the amount of time it took to even get to that point, but the gest of it is, Im done with them.)