A Challenge (College Gaming Computer)

Dragonflame100

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I'm going to college and have 2000 dollars to spend on the best computing that money can buy. I have 2 options: a Sager for 2000 dollars (described below) or a desktop/laptop combo. I know that people always suggest buying a desktop and laptop so you can have gaming on the desktop and a functioning laptop. But looking at specifics, I'm not sure if that's true.

YOUR CHALLENGE: Defend the integrity of Desktop/Laptop combos. Beat this Sager.

Option 1: The Sager

Radeon 7970m (might change to a comparable high-end Nvidia, like the 680, when that comes out)
i7-3720QM Ivy Bridge processor
12 gigs RAM (might go to 16, either way at 1600mhz)
about 7 pounds
4-5 hours battery with Optimus, which is why I might change.

Option 2: Desktop/Laptop

While I'm buying this in a couple months, pretend as if I were buying tomorrow in terms of pricing.

This laptop doesn't need to be powerful. I want to be able to run Dota 2 on medium/low settings without lag, but nothing more demanding than that. This is mostly for notes/essays/powerpoints/watching a movie. The laptop cannot be bigger than 16 inches or more than 7.5 pounds. I need to walk around with it.
The desktop, on the other hand, must be more powerful than the Sager above (otherwise what's the point). In other words, it should play Battlefied 3 on Ultra.

Thank you!

gizmo_65

Honorable
May 10, 2012
yeah dont go with a laptop. a HTPC would be better. you could spend $1200 on a htpc and have $800 left for a vizio 47" 3d tv to use as a monitor and stream 3d movies on. you would save so much room just having everything on the entertainment center. plus you can surf the web and read books on it from any distance with windows magnifier.
here are my computers specs
gaming htpc llano A-8 3870K processor, 500gb seagate momentus hybrid drive, 8gb g.skill sniper ram, sony blu ray player, crossfired 6670, bluetooth, wifi, mini keyboard/mouse combo, 450 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TN5PZ6

gaming computer fx 6100 6 core processor,nzxt tempest 410 gaming case, 2tb western-digital green hard disk drive, xfx radeon hd 6870, 8gb crucial ram, corsair h60 liquid cooling, samsung blu ray drive, 630 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T0DXVM

TRENDING THREADS