Lenovo Ideapad no power

lovenpeace271

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Hello All

First of all thanks for all your support for people who devote time to these forums.

Now to the problem-I bought a Lenovo V 570 ideapad and it was cheap and I am a student and so it seemed like a good buy at the time. I am faily tech savvy so I thought I could fix run of the mill problems if any come up. Mostly I saw that the problems with this laptop were related to the bioaccess(the fingerprint retina reader) so I disable it as soon as I got it. Laptop worked fine for first 10 days or so -it would have intermittent hickups, freezes but if you powered off ran in safe mode for a bit and then logged on normally it would work fine. This went on for for almost a month. The problem would occur only once maybe 3-4 days so it wasnt a big issue.

About 5 days ago I left it on charge and after that it wouldnt power up. Initially the leds would light up but no display. Then after sometime of trying to do the whole take out battery and charger and hold power button down for 30-40 secs and plug it back in I got no power at all-no led no fans not even the charger light on. I ve check the battery and ac adapter-they r fine. I get no power with anything-not with adapter alone, not with battery alone , not with battery and adapter plugged in. No light no LED.

I called Lenovo and they wanted me to ship it at my expense. I found out its almost $100 to ship and I cant really afford that much. Doing more research online I found out its a common problem so I decided to take it apart myself.

The DC jack is fine. That was my first concern. I check it out with a multimeter no fluctuation on moving it or anything. However the power switch doesnt have any give or feel to it. IS this normal ? I stripped it down to barebones and still no power. What gives ? I ve had motherboards die on me on desktops but still you get some life somewhere-is there anyway to power the motherboard directly-I will try to get a picture and label everything later today if I can. Then today I read this on Lenovo community forums ( I ve been going through this for last 5 days with online research)

"I have had precisely the same problem with my daughter's v570. The charge level was very low about 5% when the screen lid was closed (and the system went into standby). A few hours later the first symptom occured when the screen did not display when the power button was pressed, but the lights on the keyboard were present. Then with the charger plugged in, the laptop power indicator light (left light front edge) was off and the battery level indicator (right light front edge) was blinking red. This indicates that the battery was not charging (power indicator off) and the battery level was low (blinking red indicator). After several attempts at reinserting the battery, charger plug etc. the keyboard did not light up at all and there were no indicator lights. Totally dead. Did the 30 second reset several times, no change. Repeated this ta day later . No change. No lights no nothing. Note: I checked the charger, and measured a solid 20V at the output. The charger was not the problem. I called Lenovo and Best Buy and of course since it was a couple of weeks past the exchange date I could not return it to Best Buy. I got an RMA from Lenovo. It was a couple of weeks later that I was ready to box it up to send back when I decided on impulse to try the charger again. Plugged in the charger and now the power indicator lights up (front edge) and the charge indicator is blinking and I press the power button, screen lights up, voila all is well! The unit is now charging and appears to run perfectly nomal. The battery initially showed a 0% charge but eventually after 3 - 4 hours was nearly 100%. I think the problem is in the battery charging circuit. If it gets very low (but not zero) it will not turn on the display, but there is some glitch that also turns off the charging circuit, so eventually the indicator lights don't even come on. It is only after a week or so when the battery is totally drained that the charging circuit is reset. This is just my guess. I will see if I can repeat the same sequence of events to reproduce this"

I was going to replace the motherboard as that seemed the only thing left but at almost $250 i would rather make sure its not something else cause this is getting expensive and I can barely afford it. So here's my question and thanks again for reading this lengthy post

1. IS motherboard the problem ? Anyway to test the motherboard before I throw another $250 at it. ( I guess the warranty isn't covered now since i opened it -another stupidity on my part)
2. how to check the charging circuit

I have build desktops in past 10 years and still have a nice running desktop that I built with no problems but I really need the laptop for schoolwork.

scotthi

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

I have the exact same problem with my ideapad Z565. When I first turned it on, I could hear the fan running and heard the system try to access the CD/DVD Rom and it ran for about 20 seconds before quiting. All the leds lighted in the upper right hand side of the machine then three of the four turned dim. Only the one with the speaker stayed lighted brightly. No screen lights up at all. I tried toggling the screen to external display and back but that didn't help. I haven't tried draining the battery completely. It is almost out of battery right now but I will drain it completely and see what happens. Thanks for the information and I'll post here if I find a solution.

lovenpeace271

Honorable
May 12, 2012
i eventually sent mine in under warranty and they replaced the motherboard and hard drive-if i were you i d swap the hard drive and see if thats the problem and also check memory-if not then maybe MB is problem

Rene Meillon

Honorable
May 9, 2013
"I have the exact same problem with my ideapad Z565. When I first turned it on, I could hear the fan running and heard the system try to access the CD/DVD Rom and it ran for about 20 seconds before quiting. All the leds lighted in the upper right hand side of the machine then three of the four turned dim. Only the one with the speaker stayed lighted brightly. No screen lights up at all. I tried toggling the screen to external display and back but that didn't help. I haven't tried draining the battery completely. It is almost out of battery right now but I will drain it completely and see what happens. Thanks for the information and I'll post here if I find a solution."

So sorry for thread necromancy but, this is the only instance of my laptops symptoms I have been able to find on the net... Has anyone ever gotten this fixed at home? I have another thread more specialized on this specific issue

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1672554/lenovo-ideapad-sudden-death.html

TRENDING THREADS