Trying to find small gaming laptop

firefyte

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
1. What is your budget?
Essentially unlimited, but I'd rather not pay more than 2k (in Euro)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
12" or smaller would be ideal, but I'd be satisfied with up to 14", if there's nothing in the lower range.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Don't care.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable
5. How much battery life do you need?
more than four hours would be ideal.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'd like to be able to play: Alan Wake, Rage, Portal 2
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
A SD slot would be nice, for uploading photos. Mostly for work and games on the go (which is most of the time).
A good keyboard would be nice.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
750+
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
three-five years. extended warranties are a plus
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
any.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'd consider any brand that offers a good stable warranty.
13. What country do you live in?
France, but I'd consider the UK or nordic countries as well.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would like a quad core ivy bridge, that is fairly light and has a dedicated GPU that can do medium-low-level gaming, say a few year old titles.

firefyte

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Yeah, this problem actually stems from the fact that the 11x was discontinued. I was thinking of getting one, but since they are now discontinued and neutered, it isn't as attractive.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
No models have been released yet but there are several ultra books in the 13" category that will be released with the 630 and 640m's. One with a 640m should be a pretty decent portable solution. Also Trinity is supposed to release on the 15th so you may see how that pans out as an integrated option.

firefyte

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

Sounds like a decent thing to wait for. Could be that companies are holding back on ultrabooks for this reason.

hdpartman

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Please tell me the Best Small Gaming Laptop to purchase, HELP I’m trying to find a small gaming laptop!

Hello friend, what you are asking for does not exist, although all of the manufacturers tell you it does.

There is nothing that is more tasking on a computer than gaming. There almost seems like the gaming industry designs a new game before there is hardware to support it. As a new hardware is designed, built and sold, our friends in the gaming industry have already built a game that needs 110% of whatever the best available is available for purchase.
OK, all of this means that any computer will work very hard to stay up with today's gaming demands. Now, demand and heavy loading on a computer causes heat, lots of heat. Now the trend is to make it smaller and more compact, the smaller has less chance to vent this high heats away from itself. We all complain about how much the fans run and how noisy they are. Also make noises on how hot our computer seems to run.
Heat is the killer of every computer in today's world. Motherboards and Graphic cards are failing due to high heat; these units are running so hot they are melting the solder joints and connections inside of expensive purchase. This is the major cause of failing computers within 1.5 - 2 years of life; this is all so common in today’s world. So your request for a small gaming computer just cannot exist. Intel is pushing for smaller more compact laptops and notebooks designs, this only multiplies the problem.

Life is full of compromises; here you just found another one.

Rules to keep cool; always use something under you computer to help in allowing you laptop to vent easily. I like to use some type of cooling fan system to help pull the heat out.
Keep your laptop clean inside; it just does not take much to pull dust into your computer, I've seen inside of many laptops that are clogged with what looks like lint from your clothes dryer. I find myself using compressed air canisters every 2-3 days to blow in to my exhaust vents. Keeping your fans and ducts clean is a major maintenance reality check. Advanced gaming users, find themselves going inside their laptop for a cleaning maintenance every 4 months or less.

firefyte

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

Great, that one is actually useful, I've been wondering where the european clevo distributors were hiding.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

That is a great looking suggestion from WR2.