Generic Laptop question - what`s inside

fantanel

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hello !

In the 'not-so-distant future' I will have to buy my first laptop.
My budget will be as small as possible.
It will be used for random web activity, occasional D3 game-play, and whatever else the future will bring.

I have read somewhere that SOME of the laptops have a space near the normal HDD where one can insert a SSD. Now, I have a SSD that I use on my PC now, a corsair force 3 60gb. I plan to use that in my future laptop to minimize the costs, and maybe maximize it`s performance. Laptops that have a SSD as main drive now, are very expensive, close to 900$. I will not be able to get even close to that.

First question: how can one know Which laptops have that 'additional space' where a SSD can be installed?

Second question: if a Laptop`s specs says that it has 4GB memory capacity, 2 slots and 2GB of memory installed, does that mean one can insert a maximum of 4GB? I ask this because I saw some i7 builds that had a 4GB mem capacity, which I thought it`s a bit low (i`m no expert).

Thank you for your time.

By researching the specific models you are interested in buying. How to do the research? Google...

Laptops generally are capable of handling 4GB modules so you should be able to upgrade to a total of 8GB of RAM. 4GB of RAM is still good enough for most people including gamers.