Gaming/College Laptop help

TQ WhaT iT Do

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I need a new laptop for college seeing as my current laptop is coming up on its 5th birthday. Here is sort of what I'm looking for:

1. What is your budget? No budget :)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 16" and up

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement (I won't mind lugging the big thing around)

5. How much battery life do you need? Meh. As much as I can squeeze out of it I suppose. Something close to 3 hours would be plenty

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes, I want to play games like Diablo 3, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2 and probably a lot more on high settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Writing papers and the like for school..

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? The bigger the better ;)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? DVD Writer? Sounds good

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I'm open to all brands if it's a good laptop..Except HP. Had an HP a few years back and thing was garbbb

13. What country do you live in? United States of America

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'll be using this laptop for college to possibly take notes on and write papers, to surf the web like everyone does on the computer, and to play games.. Nothing else really. Playing games > College imo

TQ WhaT iT Do

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I was sort of thinking about an alienware, but how good are they for doing things other than gaming? And what are some suggestions for some specific alienware laptops? I know on the website you can basically customize your laptop with whatever you want, trouble is I know next to nothing about computers and don't know what the difference is and why something is so much more expensive than another thing... So yeah, I wouldn't know what I was doing anyway lol

Except for your gaming goals any ~$600 notebook would have all the performance you need for the standard home office/home entertainment/education type workloads.

For gaming - you want the best graphics card you can afford.
(that goes for desktop or notebook gaming)