horizontal lens vs vertical

WildCard_

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I went to Best buy and looked at their cameras. I saw one that doesn't have a lens that pop out, as like most cameras do. So I asked one of the people and they said the lens are zooms in the inside and there's no really difference between them. I just think they are trying to get my money...

So what's the real difference between them, or is the best buy guy actually right?

dmilligan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2005
If the lens doesnt pop out then perhaps its a digital zoom only which doesnt compare to an optical zoom. In my opinion (feel free to prove me wrong/disagree) I think the digital zoom is a waste of time and the optical zoom is the really telling factor. You can use PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro to digitally zoom the image afterwards with similiar results. The optical zoom is the key as you will get a sharper image with more detail. Its not going to be pixelated and the like. Personally, I wouldnt purchase a digital camera that didnt have some kind of optical zoom. As for the digital zoom, I have never had any desire to use it.

-Dan

Auburn9698

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
Yeah, if the lens isn't moving away from the sensor/film to expand the focal length, then it's not optical zoom.

But hey, don't forget digital zoom the next time you're looking to make fuzzy photos of Bigfoot, UFOs, or the Loch Ness monster. :lol:

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange> 13-0!

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
RTFM or Box if you want to know whether it is Optical or Digital zoom, or a combination thereof...
Some 2x and 3x optical zooms are internal lens movements, and not detected by viewing the outside of camera...
But you will see a 10x or 20x optical zoom moving the lens...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

WildCard_

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I'm talking about like
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1 vs Sony DSC-W5

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T1/ZT1A.JPG
see, nothing comes out of the camera
specs:
# 5.1-megapixel CCD.
# 2.5-inch color LCD monitor with Transflective design for dramatically improved readability in bright light.
# Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar 3x zoom lens, equivalent to 38-114mm on a 35mm camera.
# Maximum aperture of f/3.5 - f/4.4, depending on lens zoom position.
# As much as 2x Precision Digital Zoom, and as much as 4x Smart Zoom.
# Full Auto and Program AE exposure modes.
# Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to one second.
# Built-in flash with four modes.
# Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo image storage, 32MB Memory Stick Duo card included.
# USB cradle included for easy connection to a computer or television set, USB and A/V cables included.
# Power supplied by NP-FT1 Info-Lithium battery (supplied) or AC adapter (via USB cradle).
# Pixela Image Mixer software and USB drivers included for both Windows and Mac platforms.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W5/ZW5A.JPG
for this the thing comes out
specs:
# 5.1-megapixel CCD.
# 3x zoom lens (equivalent to a 38-114mm lens on a 35mm camera).
# Variable digital Smart Zoom (at 3mp res and lower), plus 6x Precision Digital zoom.
# Real-image optical viewfinder.
# 2.5-inch color LCD monitor.
# Mostly automatic exposure control, but Manual mode is available.
# Built-in flash with five modes and an intensity adjustment.
# 32MB internal memory.
# Sony Memory Stick slot (no card included), compatible with original Memory Stick as well as the Memory Stick Pro format.
# USB 2.0 computer connection.
# 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries and charger included.
# Software for Mac and PC.

They are both 5.1mp and 3x zoom lens... are there any difference in picture quality, and which one is better?

Auburn9698

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
LOL @ the first link. There's your answer right there. I've never bothered pickin' up one of those little sonys, but if it says it....

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange> 13-0!