GT 540m overheating problem

Deepangkar

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I have an asus n43s which I've been using for 7 and a half months. I mainly use my laptop for gaming purpose and it was giving decent performance until lately. I used to play games like GTA 4, fifa 12, assassin's creed brotherhood, mafia 2, nfs run at almost highest settings. But lately, any high end games like above starts to lag after half an hour of playing. So i installed speed fan to check temp. When it is idle the CPU temp stays between 54-58c and GPU is between 57-61c. After a 25 minutes of gaming, CPU temp reaches 82-85c and gpu is 84-87c. Till this every thing is fine as it should be. But after some minutes of more playing GPU temp reaches at 97-99c and CPU is 88-92c as well as the lagging also starts. Then if i shut down my laptop for 15-20 minutes and restart, then the laptop becomes cool. And again the problem resumes after 30 minutes of gaming.

The problem is very annoying! Pls help me.
FYI, i don't use any cooling pad. I use my laptop on a hard substance.

Specs:
Win 7 64 bit
i7-2630QM 2 ghz up to 2.9 ghz
4GB ram
Nvidia GT540M DDR3 1GB
500 HDD

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Mobile Sandy Bridge processors throttle down at moderately high temps, temps below their maximum operable rating (mine throttles down at 75C more often than you think) in order to prevent the CPU from overheating. Throttlestop fixes that. You do need to get it cooled down, but you can stop the slow-down caused by throttling.

rasmusbc24

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
My GPU (nVidia GT 540M 2GB) is also overheating by 99C but i've solved the problem. first you need to clean your pc fan by open your pc. and next you need to buy a cooling pad for your pc...I recommand Coolermaster U3 it's very usefull. Then your pc never got over 65 C and overheating problem is solved. :)Thats right my GPU (nVidia GT 540M 2GB) is overheating by 99C but i've solved the problem. first you need to clean your pc fan by open your pc. and next you need to buy a cooling pad for your pc...I recommand Coolermaster U3 it's very usefull. Then your pc never got over 65C and overheating problem is solved. :)