Help please!!! upgrade ram to 12gb

ddrivera

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I have my S series laptop by sony it says the max ram on the specs chart on sony.esupport is 8gb but i wanna go to 12gb i have 4gb itergrated on the mother bord an a open slot currently with a 2gb they sell an 8gb i wanna put in this slot can i? will it work? can i make it work? please help tom's

Sony S - VPCSA3SGX
Intel Core i7 - 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
Ram 6GB HD 500GB AMD Radeon 1GB

if any other info is needed please let me know thank you.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
there are very few 8GB sticks available. Your motherboard may actually have a total of 4 slots, two will be on the bottom which are accessible by removing a plate and 2 more underneath the keyboard. If you only have two slots, just buy an 8GB set of 2 sticks and put them both in, replacing the one you have in there already.

ddrivera

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
i only have one slot on the bottom n more than that one they do sell a 8gb single ram card at compusa by amd can i work with that

Pinhedd

Distinguished
hmm, that's the first laptop I've seen with DRAM soldered directly to the motherboard. That's extremely unusual as it makes it very difficult to pair or match the memory. I do not know how they've wired up that slot on the bottom, it's possible that it can only support 4GB. I suggest calling them and finding out.

ddrivera

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
tell me about it i wanted to get two 8gb bcuz intel says my processer can haddle 16gb but due to the 4gb intergrated it set back i called them 3 times already even did an online chat trust me no help at all no body speaks good english its sony haha but whats gona happen if i pop the 8gb into that open slot anything bad?????????

ddrivera

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

Where does Intel say that? Your Core i7-2640M can handle a lot more than 16GB of RAM.
You're going to be limited on the amount of RAM you can use either by your motherboard or the version of Windows 7 you're using.

What are you doing that you need more than 8GB of RAM?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

That's correct, the processor can handle a large amount of RAM but the system only has one slot so the maximum that you can add is whatever you can fit in that one slot.

live123

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi DDrivera,
Any luck??? I have that EXACT same laptop, Sony VPCSA390X-CTO?? Anyways, I have an i5, 240GB MaxIops OCZ SATA 3 and I wanna upgrade to 12GB's of RAM as well... any luck?!?!?