Advice on $600-$800 Laptop for Gaming/School

Gbay31

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
My girlfriend is going to university soon and is planning on buying a laptop for gaming, browsing, movies, and school. Her budget is around 600-800. She's really probably only going to use it for games like The Sims, maybe a bit of WoW, and some others. She'll probably just be gaming and watching movies on it with the occasional photoshop dabbling. I'm building my PC this week as well (still reading IB reviews) so I may purchase mostly everything from Ncix. We're in northern Canada.

Upon reading quite a bit I've come up with this as bang for her buck with a reliable brand (imo) and free shipping. Should handle most games on medium to high. Well the ones she plays anyways.

ASUS K53SV-DH51 Core i5 2430 15.6in HD 640GB 6GB GeForce GT 540 Win7 Webcam Mocha HDMI USB3 Notebook

Similar models review on notebookcheck

Would you recommend this purchase for a budget like this? I think 800 is about the max she'd spend. Hell.... to get her to concur with the Asus over the cheaper POS Acer I had to throw in 100 bucks :p

Here's a smaller 14" Samsung that's on sale that may be able to handle her needs. It's 150 bucks cheaper (but smaller) at $650

Samsung NP-Q460-JS01CA i5 2430M 6GB 640GB 14IN GT540M BT WIN7 HP Notebook

Thanks for any help making this decision. I'll be posting a final spec of MY rig before I buy sometime this week in the new builds section :p You've all been very helpful with that so far. I figure who else to ask but Toms for her laptop needs and her wallet. Thanks!