Thoughts on this laptop please...

beast rabban

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hello all,
My daughter is headed off to college soon and we are buying her a laptop. This is for school work and some gaming(mass effect 3, WoW). Today's special value on QVC is this laptop.

Includes Inspiron 15 notebook, six-cell lithium-polymer battery, AC adapter, manual set-up guide, and PC Treasures software suite (software ships separately)
2.3GHz Intel Core i3-2350M processor, 3MB cache
15.6" diagonal HD TrueLife LED display with 1366x768 720p resolution
6GB shared dual-channel DDR3 SD RAM
1TB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
8X tray-loading CD/DVD burner (dual-layer DVD+/-R drive)
Dell Wireless 802.11 b/g/n with Bluetooth technology
10/100 Ethernet LAN
Intel HD Graphics
Integrated audio
Built-in 0.3 megapixel webcam
3-in-1 media card reader: SD/MMC/MS
Three USB 2.0 ports
HDMI 1.3, VGA, RJ-45 ports
Headphone/microphone jacks
Lock slot
AC adapter connector
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
Dell Stage software
Microsoft Office 2010 Starter

$699.95

My question is do you think this system will handle her school work and gaming needs? Because QVC's return policy is so hassle free, I told the wife to order it and we can return it in 30 days. I've been reading through most of the threads with college/gaming laptops in the title and I am certainly not opposed to getting a Lenovo/Xiotic/Asus laptop for her. Thanks and I'm looking forward to your suggestions/input!

beast rabban

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Anort3... dayum thanks for chart, thats a pretty bad card for her gaming

WR2...starts college in August but i would like for her to have one for the summer as she has to turn in her school laptop in two weeks.

I guess I should mention that I'm not restricted on price but the wife might balk at something above $1k, but who knows I'm dealing with 2 women atm :)

beast rabban

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

Her current laptop is a 13" Fujitsu and I think she would like to stay around that size. We have an Asus 17" that she says is to big and I agree. So a 15" would be ok I'm guessing.

Oh, already cancelled the QVC order. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

TRENDING THREADS