Is LCD inverter the problem on laptop ?

frenchy70

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for looking at this thread - I'm desperately trying to solve a problem so my 10 year old girl can continue getting her Minecraft fix on an old laptop.

The Acer Aspire 1691 WLMI laptop in question has been having deteriorating screen image for some time, and the LCD finally stopped working. It does show the backlit image when the brightness is lowered and when I spam the Fn + F6 key. I know the LCD panel is OK because in bright sunlight I can see the image on the screen. Of course, it could be the backlight bulb.

Anway, I read that it could likely be the inverter and as that is a cheap and easy fix (to just swap it out) I bought a new one and fitted it. Nothing. It doesn't even allow me to do the Fn + F6 thing.

I got it swapped out for another new one and same thing. Just black screen - when I put the original one back in, I can still use the screen intermittently by lowering the brightness and Fn + F6.

So my question is: is it possible that the new inverters I have fitted are working and that my problem lies elsewhere (perhaps the backlight bulb) ? I ask because the vendor said that the fact that my screen doesn't work after fitting them means that my problem isn't with the inverter. I don't understand how fitting a new working inverter yields the result that my screen performs worse than with my old inverter - at least I could get something from the screen before. BUT, perhaps I am missing something - I don't really understand electronics and I thought someone who knows these "repair level components" might be able to tell me whether this is a possibility.

My primary aim is to ascertain whether I can rule out the inverter as a possible problem. I'm not trying to ascertain whether the vendor is right or wrong although I suspect they have supplied me with unworking or incompatible parts.

I'm trying to avoid changing the backlight bulb as I feel its too fiddly and the bulb is more expensive than the inverter so I may as well just go to replacing the LCD panel next. But I'm still hoping that changing the inverter will work.

Thanks in advance

Frenchy

Solution
Hello frenchy70;

Have a spare external monitor you can use while you figure out what to do next?

After changing out the inverter twice there isn't much more you can do in that area.
The "it does show the backlit image when the brightness is lowered" symptom suggests to me it's the backlight bulb that ok on low power but fails when it gets to the higher power conditions.

Usually, the next troubleshooting step would be backlight bulb replacement.

Hello frenchy70;

Have a spare external monitor you can use while you figure out what to do next?

After changing out the inverter twice there isn't much more you can do in that area.
The "it does show the backlit image when the brightness is lowered" symptom suggests to me it's the backlight bulb that ok on low power but fails when it gets to the higher power conditions.

Usually, the next troubleshooting step would be backlight bulb replacement.

Solution

frenchy70

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for your reply WR2. Yes - we are using a monitor at the moment but its a bit impractical in the long term.

My question was really about definitely ruling out the inverter as a problem. Specifically, is there any reason why a working inverter would just give me a black screen only, whereas my original inverter gives me something.

I would have thought that if the problem was elsewhere, a new working inverter would give me the same result - only working at low brightness, etc.

frenchy70

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
But could it stop it from working and then whe I put the old inverter back in, it works like it did (so not totally packed in) ?

Thats what I'm trying to rule out - whether its possible that I haven't been trying compatible and/or working inverters.

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company...

Do this....

1, Replace Inverter with a NEW one (the correct one for YOUR lappy)

If no better , go to 2...

2, Replace screen with NEW one... (precisely the same screen with the SAME number FROM THE WHITE STICKER on back of screen....

Problem solved...

All the best Brett :)

frenchy70

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the responses - I am going to try an inverter that exactly matches the part number I need rather than just one that is compatible. If that doesn't work then I'll try replacing the bulb and then replace the screen.

SimonSolar2C

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Ive got the same problem on an Acer 3000, but with a strange symptom. (My laptop is working through the video out to another monitor) As I push the four pin cable onto the inverter the screen will flash for a moment. If I push it all the way in a wiggle the cable it wont flash.
So the backlight works for a moment as the cable makes connection.
Any ideas on this anyone?